Top of concrete foundations at ground level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our concrete foundations poured a couple of days ago are at/just above ground level. Has the builder got this wrong?

Sponsored Links
This is a picture at the side of the property. It's a corner plot and you'll be able to see the tarmac of the pavement behind the foundations.

Attachments

• foundations.jpeg
    foundations.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 86
So is this a new build built by a developer or what? Come on give us some more info to work with.

Sponsored Links
It's a rear and side extension to a semi detached property (1920's) on a corner plot. I've attached the engineer's design.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 21.41.43.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 21.41.43.png
    322.5 KB · Views: 59
Guess they have filled the trench to speed up getting out of the ground.

Surely it's still below ground level if the pavement is 10cm higher?

Mine is the same with the foundations only 15cm below ground

The top of the concrete trench is at its lowest around the lamp post. The rest is about 10cm above the soil level. I think the engineer's drawing shows that it should be approx 475mm below ground level.

Looks seriously wrong, nowhere for the deepened edge of the slab to go, no room for drainage in the (non existent) cavity below the dpc. Get your engineer to comment, it might still be soft enough to hack some out, easier if it's slotted with a Still saw first.

Is it even possible to construct the wall to the side extension if the concrete is almost at the same level as the pavement?

To the rear the concrete for the trench is running more like a path about 10cm above the soil.

It sounds like the builders need to replaced first.

Makes you wonder if they even dug it to the correct depth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back