Top paint layer peeling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!First time post so be gentle with me please......

My family and I have recently moved into a 1960s built house.My wife fell in love with the place but I did warn her that it needed a lot of work before it would be up to scratch,some of which I can do(I hope),some I can't....

Anyway,I have found that in one of the bedrooms there are 2 layers of paint(you'll find out how I know next ;) .The base layer seems okay and has adhered to the walls fine but the top layer seems to have bubbled in some places and been 'popped' and flattened out and the worst bits removed(showing the base layer).On peeling at this top layer where the edges are it then removes the base layer and exposes the plaster underneath.

The layers of paint seem to both be a matt emulsion but as I said the bottom layer has stuck happily to the wall whilst the overcoat has reacted to something.

Any suggestions to deal with this please?Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
if i were you i would just sand it back use a little filler to make the wall smooth again and paint away the prob might have been caused by a number of things and not being painted properly in the first place good luck

You mean sand the top layer where it is bubbling/peeling/loose so it is neat/flat to where the bottom layer is still attached to the walls and fill to even out the patchy bits that have been scraped/sanded out and then repaint over this?

Ta for response BTW.

You mean sand the top layer where it is bubbling/peeling/loose so it is neat/flat to where the bottom layer is still attached to the walls and fill to even out the patchy bits that have been scraped/sanded out and then repaint over this?

Ta for response BTW.

That's a LOT of work and will never produce a nice smooth painted finish if the problem is widespread and especially if the wall gets an oblique source of light (e.g. is at right-angles to a window).

I lived with the increasing annoyance of this for a year until I got the whole damn lot skimmed. Wallpaper, or textured wallpaper painted, or maybe heavy-duty lining paper painted, unless you don't care about ALWAYS seeing the patches.

Sponsored Links
Well,luckily the first room to do is our sons bedroom and he got the smallest room in the house,the typical 'box room'.He is a 4year old boy so I am not that fussed about it being totally gorgeous as he will have his bunk bed in there,toys,posters,dead animals and insects probably...I'll give it a go when I am not working sanding it back and see how it comes up.

My daughters room is similar with some peeling although she also has various bits of paint on the wall where the previous owner has simply painted over them rather than strip/sand.She has the biggest room in the house though.I think he(previous owner) was in a hurry trying to sell the place and just whapped paint over everything,imperfections included....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back