Tories hate the young - No 10 plans to lower salary level at which graduates start repaying loans

University education if funded by the state should be to the benefit of the state - e.g. more doctors, engineers and taxes. If we fund people to do pointless or low value degrees then why should a hard working plumber pay? The current model means those with high value degrees pay and those with low value degrees don't.
What of those jobs that don't pay as well as a doctor, but still requires a degree?

I certainly don't earn that much, but what I do certainly relates to my degree, as that is what I wanted to do. Had I not done a degree, I wouldn't have the maths skills (playing around with formulas and stats, not just mental arithmatic), legislation, the processes involved.... I can't see how i could have got this job without a degree, and I'd be stuck in a job I hated.

Given the amount of debt students leave with these days, and the cost of housing, I can't see how i could have justified going to Uni now, if I was that age now.

But also, what of those art degrees? I don't begrudge most of those, as some will go on to be great artists. We have one of (if not the) best creative sectors in the world, and that only happens with an arts education sector broad/large enough to maintain it.

The Government paying for a tertiary education is a net benefit to the population.

Sponsored Links
Could you tell us who they will turn to when they have an inevitable medical problem?
NHS (I guess) unless his betrothed has some private medical insurance with her new company. Do you want me to ask?

They are both in a much better position now, both career wise and financially (and socially) than if they had both signed up for further education. Neither drink, smoke, gamble or do drugs. He's just bought himself a nippy little BMW-M sports car and he owns his Merc van outright.

Sponsored Links
Back