Toughened glass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing this window:

IMG_20220428_103425523.jpg

It is just over 800mm above the landing but the landing is only 730mm square, is there a minimum "area" in front of the window where you measure the floor from? It won't be 800mm above the first step. I suppose technically someone could take a nosedive from the step through the window.

Sponsored Links
I'm replacing this window:

View attachment 268429

It is just over 800mm above the landing but the landing is only 730mm square, is there a minimum "area" in front of the window where you measure the floor from? It won't be 800mm above the first step. I suppose technically someone could take a nosedive from the step through the window.
As you say, possibly wise to toughen the one you face going down, not so much the one you face going up.

But I don't think the regulations actually cover it.

I kid you not, I know a lady whose brother in law tripped down the stairs and hit the window and, as it wasn't toughened, got stabbed in an artery by a shard and died. I don't know why you're even asking. It's even a bit nerve wracking picking up shards of non toughened glass.

I went into a window in that situation - covered the whole place in blood before being taken to hospital.
Yes - use toughened glass!

Sponsored Links
I’ve seen conservatories with annealed single glass - I warn the customers that I would have it removed ASAP.

I worked on a building site last year where they were removing a kind of tractor shed - one of workers got badly slashed in the face and arm from window glass.

The extra cost for toughened glass for the window on the stairs is only going to be £20 max

Absolutely toughen it! It's not explicitly covered in the regs but they do stae about looking at ' risk ' and thats a risk

I bet that modern replacement doesn't have the same structural element as the original window.

A friend was a bit ****ed and stumbled going up stairs and managed to stick their arse through a mid landing window. Cut their bum to shreds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back