Towel Radiator - Chrome to 8mm microbore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a chrome towel rad and want to join it to my 8mm microbore system. Although my values can accept 8mm tube I think it will probably look better to have 15mm chrome pipe visible as it will be coming out the wall at a height of 1.2m so very visible.

What is the best way to achieve this? I have see two possible options:

1. Use 15mm chrome tube but what is the safest way to couple this up to the 8mm?

2. Use the 15mm copper tube with chrome pipe covers

I am happy to do solder joints and I assume thay are more reliable than compression fittings (pls correct me if I am wrong). I also assume the joint will end up being in the wall which is to be tiled so I really don't want to risk a failure.

Or would it be better to put 90 bends in the chrome pipe and make the connection to the 8mm pipe under the floorboards (provided I can get the 15mm pipe into position).

Can someone in the know offer advice on the best way foward.

Sponsored Links
You can solder chrome plated tubes if you remove part of the plating to leave copper exposed underneath. However, this is easier said than done if you want to keep it neat.

Do your second option and use a compression below floor level - you can easily reduce to 8mm after this. It will be easier to maintain - apart from the fact that I think the regs stipulate that joints need to be accessible, which it won't be if plastered over and tiled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back