Towel Radiator Reducer Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have the intention to replace my existing radiator with a towel radiator.
I have grey plastic push fit 10mm piping for my central heating so I bought (from EBAY) 15mm Straight Towel Radiator Valves and a ESSEX 15mm-10mm reducer.
The thread on the reducer however does not match the central heating angled nut.
Am I meant to cut the end of the central heating piping and push fit into the reducer ?
The reducer has an olive inside. :confused:

Existing radiator valve
IMG_0307.jpg

New Valve and Reducer
IMG_0309.jpg

Sponsored Links
In answer to your question, yes. Chances are that you'll need to amend the length of the plastic pipe anyway given the size of the towel radiator. If you are worried about having to bend the plastic by too small a radius, put the reducer onto the plastic (remember to put a pipe insert into it), push the 15mm end of the reducer into a 90 degree elbow (pushfit or compression), and fill the gap between the elbow and the radiator valve with a short length of 15mm pipe.

Personally, I'd be inclined to cut the plastic pipe as close to it's entry into the room (floor or wall) as possible, allowing enough of it to stick through for tightening up the compression reducer, and then use 15mm copper or chrome from thereon in up to the towel radiator using compression fittings to suit (unless you have a pipe bender). This is for aesthetic reasons, since the towel rad will show the grey plastic pipe up in all it's glory :confused:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back