Changing radiator to towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a normal radiator in the bathroom and want to change it to a towel rail when I replace the suite. This radiator is fed by 10mm pipes and the new rail is 15mm fittings.

My question is, is it better to convert the 10mm to 15mm under the floor and then bring it up the wall in the chase in 15mm and out straight to the towel rail. And if so is a 10 to 15 reducer all thats needed under the floor? Or is it better to bring the 10mm up and out of the wall and use a reducer at the valve for the towel rail?

Many thanks
Dom

Attachments

• DE1BAABE-6CA5-401F-BE7E-B0980A1E1019.jpeg
    DE1BAABE-6CA5-401F-BE7E-B0980A1E1019.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
a towel rail gives out much less heat than a radiator; even less when it is wrapped in a thick insulating layer of towels.

Do you find the room gets excessively hot with the current radiator? What do you calculate its nominal heat output to be, and how does that compare with the rail you have in mind?

a towel rail gives out much less heat than a radiator; even less when it is wrapped in a thick insulating layer of towels.

Do you find the room gets excessively hot with the current radiator? What do you calculate its nominal heat output to be, and how does that compare with the rail you have in mind?

Yes the room is very hot with current radiator especially as it has no TRV on it. This is part of the reason I am changing it to a towel rail

Don't do it! Towel rails, apart from looking nice are pretty darn useless. Your bathroom may be warm now but remove that rad and bring on winter and I guarantee you'll freeze ya *******s off.

I did the same. New suite, towel rail etc. 12 months later I swapped the towel rail for a bog standard rad and getting out the shower at 6am in winter is much easier now I tell ya ha.

Sponsored Links
I have a 1800mm by 600mm towel rail in my bathroom, it has a TRV on it set to number 3, otherwise it is too hot.

Andy

Then its use as a towel warmer becomes useless with a TRV as once the thermostat reaches temperature your towel warmer turns off and your towels go cold.

From my experience they're very hot to touch but don't radiate heat anywhere near as much as a radiator and if used as intended to heat towels the heat radiation is nothing at all as it's absorbed by the towels leaving your bathroom cold.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back