Towel Rail / Radiator Interchangeability & Pipe Sizes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm about to change a bathroom radiator for a towel rail.

The problem I have, is that the flow to and from my radiators is through 8mm copper pipes coming up out of the floor, and I can't find 'Towel Rail' valves of this size (or the correct shape - in-line?).

Am I correct in assuming that ALL towel rail and radiator valves, thermostatic valves and lock shields are the same thing, and wholly interchangeable?

If I have to, is it save/suitable to put some 8mm<>15mm reducers or convertors somewhere just beneath the floorboards and have 15mm pipes going into my towel rail, or will the flow rates get upset?

As the hole going into the side of my radiator is much bigger than 8mm, surely this 8<15+mm conversion is already happening within my existing '8mm-in - radiator-out' lock shield, and being converted the other way as it comes out through the thermostatic valve, and all I'd be doing is moving these conversions a couple of feet away from the radiator/towel rail - or am I missing something.

Regards,

Sponsored Links
you should be able to get 8mm valves,if not put a 8 by 15 reducing set in the valves.

Hi BRIPL

Sorry to be a pain.

But I understand that with a reducer I neet to do some soldering with a blowtorch - which I would rather not get involved in.

Do reducers and compression convertors do the same thing?, and if so, why do both exist?

I would prefer to have 15mm pipes coming out of the floorboards, so let me ask again, if I put in a 8mm to 15mm compression convertor on the 8mm in-pipe under my floor and a 15mm to 8mm compression convertor on the out-pipe underneath my floor, would this upset the flow rates or not?

And... am I correct in assuming that ALL towel rail and radiator valves, thermostatic valves and lock shields are the same thing, and wholly interchangeable? - I ask this, because some of the 'lock shield' valves on towel rails seem to an adjustment knob rather than the plyers-needed version on radiators.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
no soldering req the reducing sets fit inside the compression fitting personnally speaking i would use compression above the floor but feel free to use them under the floor as far as valves are concerned you have lockshields [head /cap pushed on or secured with a screw] and wheelheads[these turn down/isolate one side].trv senses the air temp around the heat source and adjust temp up or down as req.no it should not affect the flow rates to a great extent. valves have different tails ie3/4 union or 15mm comp nut buy a macthing pair, add an inhibitor when you refill micro bore sys can be a right pain with dirt/debris when refilling :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back