Microbore rad to 15mm towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

I intend to replace a radiator in the downstairs shower room.
The radiator has a double-entry 8mm valve and I wish to replace the rad with a towel rail which will have standard 15mm through fittings.
I intend to use compression reducer 8mm to 15mm to connect the rail.

Will I have to drain the system to do this? It's a gravity fed system. Probably a dumb question but we all have to start somewhere :)

Sponsored Links
Straight answer to a straight question - Yes! (but not necassarily entirely if the rad is upstairs, just the upstairs rads.)

Breesey said:
Straight answer to a straight question - Yes! (but not necassarily entirely if the rad is upstairs, just the upstairs rads.)

That's what I was afraid of. On the face of it, it seems such a straightforward job. Undo two nuts and fit compression/reduction fittings and connect to rad.

Oh well, There go's my weekend :)

Sponsored Links
Hey. You're taking to a noob here :eek:

It just takes me longer to do these things. I've just been over this forum and discovered some horror stories from peeps who have had to drain their systems. A few years ago when we had to have it drained, I remember we also ended up having a lot of air in the system.

But it's like anything else. If you haven't done it yourself before, it takes at least twice as long the first time. So fingers/legs crossed :eek:

kevplumb said:
compression fittings JEEZ ugly looking things
sweat a couple of 15x8 no 6s on backwards :idea:

Agreed, Ugly things. But they will be hidden behind a panel. I still might follow your advice. Bear in mind that although I'm a dab hand with stained glass and lead, I'm not too experienced with this plumbing game :rolleyes:

By the way guys, I'm really grateful for your advice. Great forum. Don't think it will be the last time that I'm looking for help. Have a great weekend.

although I'm a dab hand with stained glass and lead, I'm not too experienced with this plumbing game icon_rolleyes.gif

if you can solder lead cane bonny lad you can solder copper ;)

bit more heat needed is all :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back