Towel rail leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new old house and discovered leaking towel rail valves ( after a day in house ) . I was going to isolate it to resolve leaks but the valves are unfamiliar to me the cross heads turn in both direction but cannot seem to identify a normal lock shield nut to switch off any help would be appreciated ( see picture )
IMG_6929.png
Both sides are leaking and cross head seems to turn both ways

Sponsored Links
Thanks thought as much . Would I need to drain down entire system to replace ? A plumber is due to do some work in January so without replacing ( if not straightforward for me ) what would be recommendation to minimise leak , thanks for any advice

Turn fully clockwise to close. Where exactly are they leaking from ?
If you decide to replace them ,yours are angled valves ,the ones Andy linked to above are straight

Sponsored Links
If you decide to replace them ,yours are angled valves ,the ones Andy linked to above are straight
They are leaking from the thread
they are leaking from directly under the cross thread head you turn ( ie the thread shown in picture same on both sides )

Unscrew the silver disc on the end of the cross handle,pull off the cross handle ( may be a screw beneath the disc),and show us another pic of the valve.

Hi sorry for delay here is pictures after removal of head .

Attachments

• IMG_6949.jpeg
    IMG_6949.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6952.jpeg
    IMG_6952.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 26
Sorry realise pictures aren’t great. This is the valve ( both ends same ) .

Attachments

• IMG_6953.jpeg
    IMG_6953.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 17
As there is no gland nut to try to tighten ,or re pack,you would need to replace the valves.
If you turn both valves fully clockwise to closed positions, does that stop the leaking after a little while ?

Hi yes that is what I have done and stops leak a bit . I assume I’d need to drain system to replace valves ? Thanks

Is your system sealed,with a pressure gauge somewhere ?
Valves can be changed without fully draining the system ,but it's a bit risky for a DIY'er. You have to do certain things ,depending on your system, before removing the valves and you need to be quick swapping them over.
Probably best to drain if you intend to do it yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back