New towel rail leaking

M

marsaday

I have put in a new bathroom towel rail from screwfix today.

Where one of the valves meets the towel rail i have a leak on that nut. I have tried tightening and dont want to go anymore (tired 4 times an extra turn).

So does anyone know what i do now ? Can i unscrew the nut and wrap some ptfe tape on the olive ?? (obviously do a drain down first)

Sponsored Links
Hi

You can add ptfe tape to the olive.
If when you take it to pieces and you find you can move the olive easily I would say it was not tight enough. A few other things. Make sure the pipe is clean, the pipe end is square, straight and inserts to the stop colar.

Good luck

Are you sure that it's not comming from the tail, where it screws into the bottom of the rad? Rad tails need more turns of PTFE than may people think. Minimum 8 turns for me. Also, is tail tight?

If the olive won't seal properley, then a squeeze of LSX is a last shot. Rare to have an olive that won't seal with a smear of Boss White and a nip up with the spanner.

are the olives brass onto the chrome plating? i have struggled with these in the past. i change the olives to soft copper and then ptfe them just to be sure, i also end up with loads of brass olives rolling round the van.
i dont use ptfe on tails either i use the loctite thread. a bit dear but never fails.(not yet anyway) ;) you can use it in gas and water so no need for two rolls of ptfe!

Sponsored Links
pretty sure the tail is not leaking. i put plenty of tape on when it went in.

i will try some tape on the olive.

it has stopped leaking, but the system has gotten hot tonight. i will check tomorrow when cooler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back