Re packing a towel rail valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a weeping valve on my towel rail. The valves are the chrome cylinder style but on this one there is a circlip and it appears to be sprung loaded. In the past I've loosened the nut and wrapped ptfe tape round the spindle then tightened up the nut to stop the leak. So is it possible to remove the shaft on this one and do the same or do I need to replace the whole valve.

Any tips would be appreciated

View media item 74715

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Muggles - just to be sure, there is no way of repacking this, replacement is the only option?

Ta

Sponsored Links
You can strip it down and get a replacement O ring
To be honest if you don't have a box of O rings replace the valve or pack existing O ring with PTFE.

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply, I assume to strip it down I'll have to take the whole unit out and drain down the system

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply, I assume to strip it down I'll have to take the whole unit out and drain down the system

Where's it leaking from? Why has it started leaking? Many of these leak when moved and messed with. You may find screwing it down then full open will stop it.

It's just started leaking where the spindle goes into the nut - think it started when the missus open the valve for more heat.

I'll try opening right up the closing - but I assume to only way I can get to the o-ring is from the reverse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back