Quick towel rail valve question .....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally got my butt into gear today, drained down the system and soldered up some new pipework for the ensuite. Put in some new pipework for the towel rail my wife appears totally obsessed with but didn't fit the rail itself as I've got some plasterboarding to do before it goes on.

I thought I'd be clever and put the valves on the end, tightened the nuts up hand tight then 3/4 turn (felt pretty tight) and went to repressurise the system.

Both valves had been turned off before I refilled the system but on going back to inspect them, one had a slight weep where it would screw onto the towel rail and the other was positively piddling it out - I double checked they were turned off tight which they were but they still leaked. This means that if I use these valves, I can't isolate the towel rail if I need to remove it.

The rest of the plumbing was all perfect - even the compression parts sealed first time.

Before I go on a rant back to Screwfix, is it acceptable to have valves that won't turn completely off under 1 bar of pressure ? One was worse than the other with a slight weep under pressure, the other one was spewing out around 1/4 litre per minute under 1 bar of system pressure.

Cheers
Dom

Sponsored Links
Cheers - they would only swap them over with another set of the same type but these seem to seal a lot better (i.e. you can't blow or suck through them when they are off unlike the old ones !)

Sponsored Links
Test them again for water leaks, and if they fail return them. Could be a faulty batch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back