Trade accounts - Selco, TP, Jewsons etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to get a large two storey extension done and will be buying the materials myself.

I've used places like Jewsons before without an account and they're far pricier than even B&Q with a tradecard. With a likely materials cost of 25 to 35k what sort of percentage or discount code should I be aiming for with these places?

Sponsored Links
QS= Quantity surveying

Tally up all the items needed, build an accurate shopping list and go find out.

No one will offer good discounts for 4 bags of plaster, 4 x insulated boards.

They will be interested when you say 60 bags, 60 boards- grab a bulk discount and then ask for 'call off' which means that only a portion of the total amount is delivered at a time. This avoids having so much material on site that it restricts the project due to storage issues.

Make sure you account for delivery charges- person X might be cheap, but they might also claw back the amazing discount via heavy delivery charges.

So trade discounts don't work for a single (small from a suppliers view point) project.

Places like buildit.co.uk are 60% cheaper than travis / wickes etc

I made a list for my loft conversion and have spent £9k so far.

Travis were the best and jewsons useless. Each trade centre (even if same company) act as individual units so you can shop around for the best prices.

i paid this summer (not inc vat) £12.00 for a 50mm celotex 8x4 and £16.50 for a 75mm (bought quite a few).

Plaster board was £3.75 for 8x4 at 12,5mm.

As for metal work (joist hangers, screws, nails etc ) dont go to the big places try ordering from tool station or the cheapest was tool-net.co.uk. Amazingly cheap. I mean 60p for a box of chipboard screws which are twice the price at tool station (and they are cheap).

Sponsored Links
I made a list for my loft conversion and have spent £9k so far.

Travis were the best and jewsons useless. Each trade centre (even if same company) act as individual units so you can shop around for the best prices.

i paid this summer (not inc vat) £12.00 for a 50mm celotex 8x4 and £16.50 for a 75mm (bought quite a few).

Plaster board was £3.75 for 8x4 at 12,5mm.

As for metal work (joist hangers, screws, nails etc ) dont go to the big places try ordering from tool station or the cheapest was tool-net.co.uk. Amazingly cheap. I mean 60p for a box of chipboard screws which are twice the price at tool station (and they are cheap).

£3.75 for that board is a bargain. I've got a B&Q tradecard and it comes in at £4.56 in bulk there which I thought was pretty good.

Cheers guys - there's a TP very close by so I'll pop over there

handheld foam:

Travis £9.25

Toolstation £3.87

at least dick turpin wore a mask.

Selco are up for price beating and i've done well with build centre, my local indepoendant merchant gets most of my business though - they are more flexible, a more diverse fleet and very open to negotiation.

i refuse to use travis or jewsons unless i am very desperate (hence the foam), if they can't offer me decent up front prices then they clearly don't want my business.

I agree TP is a rip off generally. BUT if you go in with a big shopping list for all the bulky items such as insulation/timber/ windows/ plasterboard they will be competitive. but this depends on the particular depot. My other TP in my city didint give me half as good prices as the other TP.

All little items (silicon/filler foam/ metal work) dont use TP. tool station is the best.

I agree TP is a rip off generally. BUT if you go in with a big shopping list for all the bulky items such as insulation/timber/ windows/ plasterboard they will be competitive. but this depends on the particular depot. My other TP in my city didint give me half as good prices as the other TP.

All little items (silicon/filler foam/ metal work) dont use TP. tool station is the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back