Material costs vs labour costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is aimed at a few ex or current builders out there. I'm in the process of getting a few quotes for an extension off the back of my London terraced house. It's a 3m extension and the downstairs wall will be knocked out and an RSJ installed to make it open plan. Typical type extension.. The quotes I've had so far, excluding the new kitchen itself are +/- 25-30k. Unfortunately, money is tight and this is more than I was hoping to spend.

I'd like to think I am reasonably handy and have renovated a few houses and flats myself and done some block work and rendering. The alternative to getting a builder in is to either do the work myself, or project manage the work and get individual tradesmen in.

My question from your experience is, am I likely to make considerable savings taking this route? Roughly, what proportion of the total cost is labour as apposed to material. In my head I worked out that labour costs of +/- £100 per person per day with 3 people for 20 working days is £6000, then there is the company owner who will take more I would think and the mark-up for the company profit. A total guess, but is it maybe fair to say that the labour could come in between 12-15k and another 10k for materials?

I know it's a vague question, but I'd be very interested to know what sort of material costs I'm looking at for a double skinned insulated wall, with tiled roof and 2 v-Lux windows a french door etc. Just ball park figure..

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Your extension size is 3m x ??? :confused:

A rough guide to costing suggests pricing at £1000 per square metre for a basic finish.

If a company pays their men £100 per day then they will charge the customer at least 25% more.

Sorry, should have explained. 3m out from the existing back wall and the house is not much wider than 5m.

Based on that and your guide, you suggest £15000 material costs? Sounds roughly what I thought...

I just wonder whether my project management and part labour would end up with much of a saving? I guess there would be some...

1k per m (+vat) includes labour AND mat's. :eek: But this guide price would not necessarily include electrics and plumbing.

Obviously prices vary according to location, logistic difficulties, complexities of the job etc.

Labour often accounts for about 60% of the overall cost of the job.

Sponsored Links
I just wonder whether my project management and part labour would end up with much of a saving? I guess there would be some...

There would be a considerable saving but at what cost?

Certainly time will be a factor and you will be responsible for everything including adhering to reg's, liaising with building control, sorting out materials and being au-fait with suppliers etc.

Simple things like understanding terminology and the various acronyms that fly around the building trade take some getting used to.

Self managing is doable, but really really useful if you know a few good tradesmen in the first place. Otherwise it only takes 1 guy to let you down and the whole job goes askew.

You'll save quite a bit simply by digging your own hole (founds). Just try not to dig yourself into one ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back