Building (labour & material) Costs for rear extension

Wow guys,

My post appears to have come back to life after almost a year. I ended up building the extensions.

In short, demolished the old extension and dug out about 3 slabs myself.
Half dug the trenches and paid some cheap labour for one extra day.
Didn't use a skip, but rather a man and a van. He must have done 15 loads or more.
Poured the concrete myself.
Brought in a brickie and his team to build the walls in 3 days.
Laid the timber for the roof myself.

We then left for a month while builders did the dirty knock through. Carm back to it largely done, but did all the decorating myself.

Most of the materials I purchased myself which saved loads.

Taking on what I could, did undoubtedly save money, but as always, the total cost is more than expected.

Mac

how big was the extension and how much did you spend all in all and can you breakdown where that went

Sponsored Links
I've just finished a 2 storey extension with pitched roof 4m x 5m doing 90% of the labour myself (everything bar 4 man days of brick laying help, 2 man days of first fix/second fix electrics, and 2 man days of plastering)

All bricks bought reclaimed second hand at a very good price. Roof tiles likewise. Other mats from local merchants at a good rate.

It's surprising how much things add up. The number of trips to screwfix to say goodbye to another £100...

In the end it cost £15k. I did have an XLS tracking everything but you start to lose interest in that kind of stuff when you can see the end in sight.

Some things are unavoidable - £400 regs, £500 scaff, roof/floor/stud timber was best part of £1k, £600 concrete, £800 carpets/flooring, SE calcs, copper pipes, etc.

Gary
footnote - thanks to everyone on here that helped me do it!

A year and a half of most weekends, every other evening, and a couple of weeks holiday off work. The wife helped me dig the foundations with a spade, and got stuck in wherever possible.

As you imply by your question, It's less a case of whether you've got the physical ability to get stuck in, more a case of whether you have the mental ability to endure that kind of grind, and be motivated by the deferred gratification. Doing a fairly invasive knock through and re-roof in the British weather at DIY speed is painful. I found, and over stepped, the limits of what wife was prepared to endure, but we both understand more about what we're capable of as a result, and are stronger for it.

It's still not finished, by the way - the house is littered with odd jobs that I'm gradually working my way through, but life has started getting in the way a bit. Another side effect of not having a builder that wants his final payment for the snagging and to clear off.

Sponsored Links
I think you have summed it up very well Gary.
People who embark on such a project- mostly always do so with enthusiasm when they start.
They then come to realise just how much more bits and bobs cost and just how much time and attention it demands - especially when they look back at it- as you are now almost doing.
A well organised 'reliable' builder- would have been 'in and out' in around 5 or 6 weeks -Job done -but of course- there is a price to pay for it.

You and your wife have sacrificed lots of weekends and other time over 18 months or so.
That time could have been 'your time'--to enjoy and relax .Also- you would have had the enjoyment of your new house addition for the last 15 months .

But- well done anyway --at least you will know what it's all about now .

Question is- 'would you take the same path again ?.
P.

For *me*, personally, I have no regrets, but I'm the kind of person that's a fidget and always needs to doing something hands on rather than being sat on the sofa. I probably wouldn't/couldn't do it again, since I've now got a 3 month old to look after so most things you try to do take a lot longer than previously!

It's been an interesting and addictive voyage though - I built a fairly noddy conservatory five years ago, then three years ago did an 8m^2 single storey front extension, so this last project was a stab at really scaling up and seeing what was possible.

If I'd counted my hours and multiplied it by £20 or whatever, it wouldn't stack up as a sensible proposition. But then some people pay £100 a month for gym membership, so when does a hobby become work?

All credit to the members of this forum though - all the information and guidance is here if people are willing to put in the effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back