Building Material estimates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning to build an extension to my house. At the moment, I'm trying to estimate the material cost of the whole project. I have heard that some builders use quantity surveyor who provides them with a full list of material required, quantity and potentially cost. I tried to google it but then struggled to find quantity surveyor for small domestic projects. Does anyone know where to get material estimates or any suitable quantity surveyor to recommend?

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Think of the whole project as costing £1200 p/m² (floor area) and assume at least 1/4 of this will be spent on building materials.

Probably.

Hi,

Thanks. Apart from the overall cost, I'm also interested to get a full list of what materials are needed and the quantity. Not sure if this is a practical idea but I was hoping to find out what material and how much do I need for each key stage of the project. The idea is that I'll use the list to source the material and hire tradesman by labour only.

Hope that make sense. Happy to hear any suggestions.

Thanks!

Your concept is one that i am not familiar with and is also flawed.

You will need to spend money on hiring a Q.S. and a project manager.

If you intend managing the project yourself then be prepared to be shouted at a lot or at least swat up on what to order and when. A Q.S. will be able to give you reasonably accurate quantities but not necessarily how and when to buy or order said mat's.

Gaining experience can be costly so you need to weigh up the odds against your competence verses your wallet/purse.

Sponsored Links
The idea is that I'll use the list to source the material and hire tradesman by labour only.

Forget it. Unless you really know the building game you would be bonkers to try that. You will get your backside spanked having men on 'labour only' playing you for a fool saying this is wrong, that's not right..etc - all the time the meter's running and you're racking up x men @ £/day. They can be crafty blighters tradesmen if you don't know how to handle them.

Thanks all for replying.

Deciding on project managing myself isn't an easy decision.

I'm doing a 30 m2 single floor bungalow extension, plus a garage conversion (15 m2) and some internal work - knocking down 2 short non weight supporting walls. I spent 3 months getting quotes from various local builders who do the whole thing. The quotes coming back range between 90k to 55k, which is way above my budget. I tried to get a break down of what are the quote made of, i.e. cost for ground work, brickwork to roofline, etc. But none of them is willing to.

Therefore, I thought I'd probably have to hire individual builders to able to afford doing the project. Hence why the inital question of getting a QS to get a material list. To be honest, I don't know if this is something worth doing at all, and from most replys, I can sense it's perhaps not a good idea...

I've been seeing a few ground workers and brickies in the last few days. Most of them seem happy to tell me how much material I need and when, for their part of work. The logistic is certainly not an easy process but just by listing them, it doesn't feel that it's mission impossible either.

I'd appreciate any advise on what are likely to be the mostly tricky parts during the whole thing.

Also, I'm not sure how the following things are carried out. Would also appreciate any heads up:

1. Setting out foundations - is this usually done by surveyor or ground worker? I've read in quite a few places that it's a vital job. Any suggestions on how to get the done correctly. And also, does ground worker usually follow the settings anyway?

2. Brick laying to roofline - I feel that this is a relevantly straight forward piece of work, provide that if all materials, e.g. bricks, motar, etc are in place. Have I completely under estimated it? any tricky situation that I should be aware?

Thanks!

BTW Heather. Theoldun is one of our most knowledgeable forum contributors - so take him up on his offer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back