Transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
just got back from America and bought my self a surround sound system for my tv.

i need to buy a transformer to get 110v. the box of the system says rms 1000w (1kw), i've been reading the instruction manual and it says

Power Consumption Main Unit 135w

im sure all i need for this is a transformer that can take 135w min
so can someone confirm that one of these will be ok
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=13358&DOY=2m9#specifi

thanks
chris

Sponsored Links
The 1000W rating will be the max audio power but only briefly! There are many differant ways of rating the power output from audio amps and the manufacturers use the one that sounds most impressive! The power consumption figure of 135W is what concerns you for your transformer. I under rate transformers by at least 50% as the max ratings give a high operating temperature and short life (warranty+ 1 day!). The 200VA or 300VA unit you list should do fine.
Strictly VA and Power W are not the same but the power factor for this sort of equipment will be close to 1 so not an issue.

does the main cable go directly into the surround system or is it powered by what the americans call a wall-wart power supply? If so just look at the output from this, if DC output it will be relativly easy to get a UK mains to that DC output power supply from a supplier here.

Sponsored Links
The 1000W rating will be the max audio power but only briefly! There are many differant ways of rating the power output from audio amps and the manufacturers use the one that sounds most impressive! The power consumption figure of 135W is what concerns you for your transformer. I under rate transformers by at least 50% as the max ratings give a high operating temperature and short life (warranty+ 1 day!). The 200VA or 300VA unit you list should do fine.
Strictly VA and Power W are not the same but the power factor for this sort of equipment will be close to 1 so not an issue.

thanks exactly what i thought

does the main cable go directly into the surround system or is it powered by what the americans call a wall-wart power supply? If so just look at the output from this, if DC output it will be relativly easy to get a UK mains to that DC output power supply from a supplier here.

eeerrr its just there stardard 2 pin plug the plugs into the wall. it also plugs into the back of the amp with a different type plug

might see if i can open it up and have a peak

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back