translate L1/Com into IN/OUT L+N for me please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Bought a replacement pullswitch because it had a red LED so I will be able to tell whether the shower is in over-run, or whether it's actually switched on.

Anyway the switches don't look the same

Previous switch had two brown wires both connected to COM, and a single blue wire connected to L1, nothing in L2.

But the new switch has 4 terminals, "in" (L and N) and "out" (L and N)

I've trawled the whole internet for the answer but it doesn't seem to be there. I've also looked for "load" and "feed" (equivalents of In and Out?) but still clear as mud.

help!

Sponsored Links
ncst,

Your two brown wires both connected to COM -moved into -> "L In"
Your single blue wire connected to L1 -moved into -> "L Out" (this is called 'switched Live and the blue wire should really be marked as such by having a brown sleeve on the wire).

You are only switching the LIVE wire on and off.

You have no Neutral wire to switch (my presumption - tell us if any other wires in there).
So no wires in "N in" or "N out"

The new switch will work switching shower on and off as it switches the Live feed on and off.

But the light will not illuminate as there is no Neutral wire at the switch (my presumption - tell us if any other wires in there).

SFK

Last edited:
Reactions: CBW
Sounds like you've got a double pole switch instead of a 1 or 2 way switch.

But it wouldnt be for a shower? Unless a relay/contractor is fitted?

addendum....

Above I made an assumption that the two 'brown wires' are the 'permanent live' and the 'blue wire' is the 'switched live' going to the shower.

This is likely to be the case, BUT

It is just as likely that the 'blue wire' is the 'permanent live' and the two brown wires are are the 'switched live' (and should have brown sleeves on them) going to the shower and to something else (eg shaver socket).

This should be noted, but actually does not change my wiring method (reversing L In and L out in this case doe snot make a difference).

SFK

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for your help @SFK ! When there is daylight in the morning, I'll turn off the power and get out the screwdriver.

There was a lot of conflicting information out there - and apologies @pete01 - you are correct, this isn't for a shower at all, it's for the in-line extractor fan above the shower. The fan is spurred off the nearby light IIRC which could be why there's only 1 neutral wire.

Very much appreciated, and thanks for your quick replies!

Why are you changing the switch ? If it is just to have the red LED , that's not gonna function with your wiring set up.

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back