Replace 2-gang (NL/NL) light switch with N/L/L1/L2 switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm sure this is easy enough... I'm replacing a standard dual-light switch (in that there are 2 switches and 2 lights) with a Wifi switch (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075JCN3YQ).

The layout is different, with a N, L, L1 and L2, whereas the old switch is just N and L times 2.

I've enclosed a diagram.

I guess the 2 blacks go to the L, and the L1 and L2 take the red wire from each input?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Image.png
    Image.png
    62 KB · Views: 1,081
Sponsored Links
The black wires are not Neutrals, they are Switched Lives.

The Wifi switch requires a Neutral for the power supply to the electronics in the Wifi switch.
As you do not have a Neutral at the switch location this Wifi switch cannot replace the existing switch without alterations to the wiring at one of the ceiling roses.

After that alteration has been nade you will not be able to replace the Wifi switch if ( when ) it fails with a normal switch until you restore the wiring at the ceiking rose to how it was before you alteres it to make the Wifi switch work.

Ugh, okay, just done some reading on it thanks to your post.
That's disappointing!
thanks for the info. Is it typical for UK lighting circuits not to have neutral?

Is it typical for UK lighting circuits not to have neutral?

They do have Neutrals but in most homes only at the ceiling rose / lamps

The most common "system" is that Live and Neutral are both present at the ceiling rose ( a cable loops them from ceiling rose to ceiling rose ) and only the Live is dropped down to the switch ( red ). The Switched Live taken back to the ceiling rose ( black which should have a red sleeve to indicate it is a switched Live )

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean switches not having neutrals rather than circuits, but it’s kind of 50/50. New wiring now will take the neutral to the switch a lot of the time, it used to be just taken to the ceiling Rose and the live and switched live down to the switch.

The advent of spots and other forms of lighting other than a ceiling rose has lead to the switch being a better place to do your connections.

The alterations are fairly minor but it will depend on your level of skill as to whether it’s possible or not

Thanks guys,
Seems like it may be possible to retrofit then by coming down from the ceiling into the switches. While not a fun thing to do (I certainly wouldn't tackle it if I don't even know how to wire a switch!) but since I'll be doing some extension work on the house soon it might be worth doing this.

But bernard suggested that I couldn't then go back to the normal switches after that... surely there are standard light switches that include a neutral as well, or is it only the fancy wifi ones??

Well so long as both lights on this switch are on the same circuit you won’t need to pull in any more cables.

Essentially it boils down to, disconnecting one of the live and switch lives from a pendant, then connecting it up as a switch live and neutral. You’ll obviously need to know which cable is which but that’s really all there is to it.

In the future you’d just have to put that neutral in a connector block.

If the lights are on separate circuits, you won’t be able to use your switch at all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back