replacement switch help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

im replacing a cracked light switch on an outside light (swich on inside) and i cant rewire it correctly! :(

im not usualy too bad at this sort of thing but this has me foxed!

old switch
1. 2 cables (twin & earth) drop into the socket
2. on back of switch there are 2 earths + L N at the top and L N at the bottom.

now the new switch has earths and 2 x L1 at the top and 2 x L2 at the bottom?

so i think i have tried every combination starting with the wires in the same pattern as the old switch but the light is just always on no matter when the switch is pressed or its on when it should be then trips the fuse when i try to turn it off?

old new

L N L1 L1

L N L2 L2

im lost help please

:D

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
you have an intermediate switch. you need a DP switch.

many thanks for your prompt reply

on the inside of the switch it has 2 diagrams embosed in it

one marked INT has arrows pointing to the 1 and 2 on both sides verticaly and diagonal arrows pointing to the 1 and 2, the other has just vertical arrows pointing to the 1 and 2 and is marked DP
(dificult to explain i hope that makes sense)

so does this mean i can use it as both?

what are the differences?

Can you take a digital photo and host it at www.imageshack.us and post a link here?

failing that, tell us what brand it is and we can try to search for the diagrams you mention.

Sponsored Links
i suspect you have a cheap switch made by one of the sheds, they normally include instructions for more than just the product you have bought. Get a new DP switch and try it again one cable live and neutral at the top and the other cable live and neutral at the bottom, earths in the terminal . An intermediate switch will never work as a DP switch

Nick

sparkydude, this switch has the 2 diagrams embossed on the back of it apparently. :eek:

I dont remember ever seeing a switch with a diagram on the back of it before, must be a big switch LOL normally just lines or a cross on the back of some intermediates. Normally just test with a multimeter to ensure its right

NIck

hi thanks for your help guys! :D

just seen embossed in the black on the switch that it has INT marked on it so the other plate with the 2 diagrams must be their standard for both types of switches! what a pain

i will change it asap

so what are the differences between these 2

A double pole switch breaks the contatcs between the top and the bottom when you break the switch. The intermediate switch swops them over, so that they can be used in a 2 way lighting circuit.

Is this light supplied from a fused spur ? or is it on the lighting circuit? if its on the lighting circuit then there is not really any need to isolate the neutral and you can just put the neutrals together in a connector block, the earths to the metal box , or together in a connector block if it is a plastic box then connect the two lives to the intermediate switch .

Nick

'dude, the OP said its for an outside light. DP switching recommended.

since when? I have never put an outside light on a DP switch and never will. What do you do by your back door then if you have a 2way across the kitchen and a switch for the outside light? make up an expensive grid switch or use a 2gang switch to match the rest . There is no Requirement or regulation that an outside light must have DP isolation so there is not a problem with doing it this way .

sparkydude said:
A double pole switch breaks the contatcs between the top and the bottom when you break the switch. The intermediate switch swops them over, so that they can be used in a 2 way lighting circuit.

Is this light supplied from a fused spur ? or is it on the lighting circuit? if its on the lighting circuit then there is not really any need to isolate the neutral and you can just put the neutrals together in a connector block, the earths to the metal box , or together in a connector block if it is a plastic box then connect the two lives to the intermediate switch .

Nick

Its on a lighting ciruit i assume as there is no fuse nearby, so i can wire it to work! yippee

does it matter to which side i fit the lives? or just one in L1 and one in the L2 below it

If the neutrals are at the switch, it makes sense to use a DP switch.

a: you can fit a neon as a reminder that the light is on.

b: in the event of a fault, it allows total isolation and makes fault-finding easier.

c: total isolation for maintenance.

before you fit it just make sure that it is on a lighting circuit by turning of for removing the fuse from your fuse box for the lighting and making sure it is dead, then connecting the switch up might be a bit of trial and error as different manafacturers have different ways of terminal layouts. just try one at the top and one at the bottom .

Nick

All valid points mr securespark, but why bother. In an ideal worl we would like to do, but do not, and as he has already got the switch then the way i have sugggested is a perfectly valid way of connecting a switch to supply an outside light. But i doubt you will see this my way so i will leave it you as a fellow 'professional ' to advise further if required.

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back