light switch L1 and L2 positions reversed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi ,i have just puchased a 1 gang 2 way light switch to replace a dud one with a broken switch on my stairs , the query i have is that on the replacement switch the positions of the L1 and L2 terminals are reversed (etc L2 on new terminal is where L1 is on old and visa versa ) can i wire the switch to the same terminal positions as on the old unit even though L1 and L2 are reversed , hope you can make sense of the question !!!!

Sponsored Links
Yes - transfer the wires to the same labelled terminals, no matter what their physical layout.

Better electricians wire 2-way lights so that they are off when both switches are either down or up. That means you can be sure that the lights are off when you change a dead lamp.

In your case if the switch is the wrong way up, you can either turn the switch round 180° or you can swap the wires in L1 and L2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back