CLIPSAL intermediate switch to L1, L2 notation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a CLIPSAL intermediate light switch with four blue wires in it. The terminals are not labled except for a small diagram saying 'To 2 way switch' on each pair, how does this relate to my new MEM switch which has L1, L1 on the top and L2, L2 on the bottom?

Sponsored Links
Your old switch has 2 terminals at the top, 2 at the bottom.

Your new switch has 2 terminals at the top, 2 at the bottom.

They are all lives.

It matters not which way around you connect, as long as the top blues goes to the top 2, and the bottom blues goes to the bottom 2.

Out of interest, all 4 blue cores should have brown tape or sleeving on them.

The old switch terminals are arranged in a circle so they are top + left and bottom + right according to the diagram and they are just blue. the MEM switch has two L1s at the top and two L2s at the bottom.

Sponsored Links
DSC00133a.jpg

OK, forget the switch. Never seen anything like it :eek:

The 4 blue cores come from 2 cables, yes?

Put the cores from one cable into the top 2 terminals.

Put the cores from the other cable into the bottom 2 terminals.

Its very strange to see tinned copper conductors in blue cable cores. This isn't some sort of control system wiring is it? Tinned copper suggests it is from the 70's, but blue fixed wiring suggests its from after 2006. :confused:

well get a multi meter and cjeck out what does what on the switch then connect to new switch.

by the looks of them cables the whole place neeeds a rewire :cry:

The wiring diagram clearly attached to the side of the switch is the key to your success ;)

After a bit more digging, I know which two wires come up from the two way switch downstairs, in a normal L1, L1, L2, L2 situation, where would these go?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back