intermediate light switch help

Well, I can see a potential commercial 'point', given that the market for intermediate switches is presumably tiny compared with the market for 'two-way' ones. It is presumably simpler/cheaper just to throw two standard 'two-way' modules onto a faceplate and link their rockers that to explicitly manufacture 'intermediate modules', isn't it?
Well, as neither of us has ever come across such an item, it cannot be a common practice so - presumably not.

Sponsored Links
Well, as neither of us has ever come across such an item, it cannot be a common practice so - presumably not.
As you say, and for whatever reason, it clearly is an extremely uncommon practice.

It does, of course, only work for single-gang intermediates, whereas they could probably get two, maybe three, intermediates on a 'single' faceplate if they had explicitly 'intermediate' modules.

Kind Regards, John

Well presumably it is, or they wouldn't be doing it!
The Trendi switches, for example are a modern switch, designed to be modular from the start.
Economies of scale don't always make obvious sense, take for example, BMW and their heated seats subscription!
Somewhere along the line, the bean counters have calculated that they may save fractions of a penny (probably Chinese Yuan), by doing it this way.

Edit...
Here's my 1 gang 2-way switch.
It would only take a very simple modification to the rocker to switch two modules...
20230312_161320.jpg20230312_161127.jpg

Last edited:
Well presumably it is, or they wouldn't be doing it!
It clearly has not been, and still isn't, a 'common practice' since few, if any, of us have seen anything like this before! As for 'the future, who knows?!
The Trendi switches, for example are a modern switch, designed to be modular from the start.
Yes, but that is not, in itself, an explanation. Other 'modular' ranges of accessories do include explicit 'intermediate switch' modules.

As I wrote, I can see potential commercial advantage in doing what they have done, since it precludes the need to produce explicit intermediate modules. However, as I also wrote, it limits them to one intermediate per 'single' plate, whereas they could have two, maybe three, if they had intermediate modules.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hello again,

As suggested in order to stop all the "bickering" I've taken the photographs of all 3 light switches.

Downstairs - 1 gang 2 way

Upstairs (landing) in-between - 1 gang 2 way, same light switch as downstairs. This is where usually an intermediate switch is located. However, in my case the electricians have put 1 gang 2 way.

Upstairs - 1 gang intermediate a cheap British white switch. This is where usually a 1 gang 2 way is located.

Capture.JPG

The new intermediate has got 1 gang too. The photograph of both front and back are attached.

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• new intermediate front.jpg
    new intermediate front.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 51
  • new intermediate back.jpg
    new intermediate back.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 51
As suggested in order to stop all the "bickering" I've taken the photographs of all 3 light switches. .... The new intermediate has got 1 gang too. The photograph of both front and back are attached.
Well, I don't know about 'bickering' but, maybe because I'm dim, I could not tell you (without seeing some documentation) how one is meant to wire that "new intermediate switch" - since one expects an intermediate switch to have four, not six, terminals :)

Does it come with 'instructions'?

Kind Regards, John

Yes, maybe/probably - but as I've just written, without some 'instructions' I would not know how to wire that new switch, would you?
Bernard showed us - post 42.

I dare say I could have figured it out - as you would for a double pole switch.

Bernard showed us - post 42.

I dare say I could have figured it out - as you would for a double pole switch.
Yes he did:
1678805657027.png

But that switch has the SPDT 'V's line up.
With the OPs switch, one 'V' is inverted - there may need to be a little experimentation needed to determine which contacts are switched at the same time!

But that switch has the SPDT 'V's line up.
With the OPs switch, one 'V' is inverted
They are both on their side as well.
- there may need to be a little experimentation needed to determine which contacts are switched at the same time!
The switches are two separate switches. I don't think any experimentation is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back