intermediate light switch help

make an ordinary intermediate and use it for the other options: one-way and two-way.
The internals of a "real" intermediate switch are generally more complex and thus they are significantly more difficult/time consuming/expensive to produce than a basic SPDT switch. Hence using intermediate switches in place of SPDT switches would be less cost effective than using the easier to produce SPDT switches.

Sponsored Links
That just leaves one question: Why? .... Apart from what John wanted, it would have been so much easier the other way round. I.e. make an ordinary intermediate and use it for the other options: one-way and two-way.
I've been away from this discussion for an hour or two, but it seems your question has really been asked.

It would, indeed, be 'simpler (less different products to manufacture, stock and keep in one's van) to just have intermediate switches, which could then be used as 'one-way' or 'two-way' switches as well as intermediate ones. However, as has been pointed out, the mechanism of an intermediate switch is undoubtedly more complicated, hence more expensive to manufacture, than either of the other two (far more commonly needed) types.

Kind Regards, John

the mechanism of an intermediate switch is undoubtedly more complicated, hence more expensive to manufacture, than either of the other two (far more commonly needed) types.
Yes, but they need to use two two-way switches.

How expensive can it be?

Sponsored Links
Yes, but they need to use two two-way switches. ... How expensive can it be?
I'm not sure that I understand your point - are you perhaps saying that they could/should use two 'two-way' (SPST) (SPDT) switches to create an intermediate one?

If so, two two-way switch mechanism would presumably cost something approaching twice the price of one two-way switch mechanism and, probably more to the point, there would have to be some increased complexity (hence cost) in terms of 'interlocking/synchronisation' of the two mechanisms, in order to be certain that (in all possible applications) there would be no 'bangs' when the switch was operated!¬

... or did you mean something different from that?

Kind Regards, John
Edit: Important typo corrected

Last edited:
I've been away from this thread for a week or two and things have moved a long way.
As to the cost issue, a new housing estate locally purchased pallets multiple of 1, 2 & 3 gang intermediates and used them for everything. It's been bloddy useful for later alterations:) especially when I found a box under a kitchen cupboard with several random accessories(y)

I'm not sure that I understand your point - are you perhaps saying that they could/should use two 'two-way' (SPST) switches to create an intermediate one?
No, that wouldn't work, would it? They have used two two-way switches (SPDT) to make one intermediate whereas one normal intermediate would do for all three options: one-way, two-way and intermediate.

If so, two two-way switch mechanism would presumably cost something approaching twice the price of one two-way switch mechanism and, probably more to the point, there would have to be some increased complexity (hence cost) in terms of 'interlocking/synchronisation' of the two mechanisms, in order to be certain that (in all possible applications) there would be no 'bangs' when the switch was operated!¬
That's not what I meant but surely that entails as much expense if not more than using ONE intermediate for all three types.

I've been away from this thread for a week or two and things have moved a long way.
As to the cost issue, a new housing estate locally purchased pallets multiple of 1, 2 & 3 gang intermediates and used them for everything. It's been bloddy useful for later alterations:) especially when I found a box under a kitchen cupboard with several random accessories(y)
As I recently wrote, that is certainly, in many senses, the "simplest" approach - but given that the great majority of requirements are for one-way or two-way switches, it seems unlikely that it would be a very 'cost-effective' approach.

Kind Regards, John

No, that wouldn't work, would it?
It could (with the additional 'safety measures' I mentioned), but I'm getting a bit lost ...
They have used two two-way switches (SPDT) to make one intermediate ...
Who is this "they"?
whereas one normal intermediate would do for all three options: one-way, two-way and intermediate.
IU think that we're all totally agreed about that - but are you making some additional point?
That's not what I meant but surely that entails as much expense if not more than using ONE intermediate for all three types.
That's what I was saying.

Kind Regards, John

It could (with the additional 'safety measures' I mentioned), but I'm getting a bit lost ...
Yes, you mentioned " two 'two-way' (SPST) switches" and I missed the error.

Obviously an intermediate switch could not be fashioned from two SPST switches - which are not two-way.

Who is this "they"?
The people who have made such things as the OP's switch IF Bernard is correct, or the one in the Amazon link.

Yes, you mentioned " two 'two-way' (SPST) switches" and I missed the error. .... Obviously an intermediate switch could not be fashioned from two SPST switches - which are not two-way.
Yes, I missed my typo, too - no corrected. Apologies, and thanks for noticing - I obviously meant "SPDT".
The people who have made such things as the OP's switch IF Bernard is correct, or the one in the Amazon link.
Fair enough. I must say that I'd never seen or heard of such a way of 'improvising' an intermediate switch.

I have to say that if they just use two standard two-way (SPDT !) switch modules with their 'rockers' mechanically linked, I wonder how they have addressed to potential 'bang' issue which I referred to earlier?

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough. I must say that I'd never seen or heard of such a way of 'improvising' an intermediate switch.
Nor I - not surprisingly because I still don't see the point of doing it.

I have to say that if they just use two standard two-way (SPDT !) switch modules with their 'rockers' mechanically linked, I wonder how they have addressed to potential 'bang' issue which I referred to earlier?
Well, there would not be a potential 'bang' issue when used as an intermediate switch but obviously there might be if used, as you indicated you might have, as a DPDT switch.

I wonder how they have addressed to potential 'bang' issue which I referred to earlier?
There is no risk of a "big bang" in a lighting circuit using improvised intermediates ( 2 SPDT switches ) as the only access to Neutral is via the lamp. The switches cannot therefore create a short circuit between Live and Neutral.

HOWEVER if the improvised intermediate switch is being used as a polarity switcher ( as in a reversible motor application ) then a big bang is a possibility if the supply Live and Neutral are connected to the two switch Commons. If the two commons supply the motor then a big bang is unlikely.

Nor I - not surprisingly because I still don't see the point of doing it.
Well, I can see a potential commercial 'point', given that the market for intermediate switches is presumably tiny compared with the market for 'two-way' ones. It is presumably simpler/cheaper just to throw two standard 'two-way' modules onto a faceplate and link their rockers that to explicitly manufacture 'intermediate modules', isn't it?
Well, there would not be a potential 'bang' issue when used as an intermediate switch but obviously there might be if used, as you indicated you might have, as a DPDT switch.
All agreed, and that was my point. I think that if they produce a product which has (or can have) "DPDT" functionality, then it should be safe to use in any "DPDT" application.

Kind Regards, John

There is no risk of a "big bang" in a lighting circuit using improvised intermediates ( 2 SPDT switches ) as the only access to Neutral is via the lamp. The switches cannot therefore create a short circuit between Live and Neutral. .... HOWEVER if the improvised intermediate switch is being used as a polarity switcher ( as in a reversible motor application ) then a big bang is a possibility if the supply Live and Neutral are connected to the two switch Commons. If the two commons supply the motor then a big bang is unlikely.
All agreed, but as I've just written to EFLI, I think that if anyone produces a product which has (or can have) "DPDT" functionality, then it should be safe to use in any "DPDT" application.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back