intermediate light switch help

Sponsored Links
Well, I suppose I don't 'know' but switches like that are 'like that' and why would it not be the case?

That makes it the same as Bernard's picture and similar switches. If not, why would L2 or L3 be the COM?

Sponsored Links
Well, I suppose I don't 'know' but switches like that are 'like that' and why would it not be the case? That makes it the same as Bernard's picture and similar switches. If not, why would L2 or L3 be the COM?
Hmmm. Do you think that (without instructions) 'the average electrician' would be confident about how to wire a 6-terminal 'intermediate switch', whatever the arrangement and labelling of the terminals?

Don't forget that, to name but two people, neither you nor I have ever seen anything like this before!

Kind Regards, John

Hmmm. Do you think that (without instructions) 'the average electrician' would be confident about how to wire a 6-terminal 'intermediate switch', whatever the arrangement and labelling of the terminals?
It's not a 6-terminal intermediate switch; it is two 2-way switches.

I cannot speak for 'the average electrician'.

Don't forget that, to name but two people, neither you nor I have ever seen anything like this before!
I have seen a two-gang two-way switch many times.

I am puzzled why you think it would be difficult when you said you wish you had seen one before as there were no DPDT 240V switches which you wanted.

Do you think that (without instructions) 'the average electrician' would be confident about how to wire a 6-terminal 'intermediate switch',

The average electrician may have to think a bit but if instructions are included with the switch then he or she should be able to cable it up without necessarily understanding how the circuit works,

It's not a 6-terminal intermediate switch; it is two 2-way switches.
So it seems, but it is apparently sold as an intermediate switch.
I cannot speak for 'the average electrician'.
Nor can I. However, I very much doubt that many of them have ever encountered a two-gang two-way switch with a 'combined' single rocker, let alone even considering using such a product to emulate an intermediate switch.
I have seen a two-gang two-way switch many times.
As have I - but, as above, never before with 'linked rockers' (i.e. a single rocker).
I am puzzled why you think it would be difficult when you said you wish you had seen one before as there were no DPDT 240V switches which you wanted.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'difficult'. Needless to say, I have always realised that it would be very simple to mechanically link (i.e. 'single rocker') two SPDT switches so as to produce a DPDT one, which is the very reason I'm been surprised that no-one (until now!) seems to have produced one - but, for reasons I've explained, I'm not totally comfortable with the idea of wiring one of those to emulate 'intermediate switch' functionality.

It would be perfectly reasonable if a switch such as we have 'found' were described as, say, a "DP two-way switch", leaving users to then decide whether they were comfortable to wire it as an 'intermediate'.

Kind Regards, John

One way would be this...

Screenshot_20230314-163733_Pocket Paint.jpg

EDIT:
Photo edited to match labels on OPs existing switch.
(And assuming L1A and L1B are common etc.)

Sorry, it's a bit difficult to draw pictures on a phone...

Last edited:
The average electrician may have to think a bit but if instructions are included with the switch then he or she should be able to cable it up without necessarily understanding how the circuit works,
Indeed - that's why I said "(without instructions)".

I'm waiting to hear whether the OP's new switch came with (reasonable and 'correct'!) instructions for its use as an intermediate switch!

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps a more linear view would make it easier to understand:
Needless to say, I do 'understand' - but I still think that many/most electricians would (without 'instructions') be initially 'thrown' by something sold as an intermediate switch which had 6 terminals.

Many/most are familiar with the fact that an intermediate switch can be wired to produce "two-way" (or "one way") functionality. However, presumably because DPDT switches have not (hitherto) been available, they are unlikley to be familiar with wiring such a switch for use as an intermediate.

Kind Regards, John

Needless to say, I do 'understand' - but I still think that many/most electricians would (without 'instructions') be initially 'thrown' by something sold as an intermediate switch which had 6 terminals.
Maybe, but it does look like two two-way switches.

How long did it take us to figure out once we were told what it was?

Many/most are familiar with the fact that an intermediate switch can be wired to produce "two-way" (or "one way") functionality. However, presumably because DPDT switches have not (hitherto) been available, they are unlikley to be familiar with wiring such a switch for use as an intermediate.
Maybe but so what?

I still do not see the point of doing it when other manufacturers just make intermediate switches and BG at least can do it for £2.89 (probably 10p from China).

Maybe, but it does look like two two-way switches.
It does - but, as I keep saying, virtually no-one is used to wiring a pair of ('linked') two-way switches to emulate an intermediate one (not the least because they have probably never previously seen "a pair of ('linked') two-way switches")
Maybe but so what?
"So" ... most people first encountering something sold as an intermediate switch which had 6 terminals would probably not (without instructions) initially know how to wire it to provide intermediate switch functionality.
I still do not see the point of doing it when other manufacturers just make intermediate switches and BG at least can do it for £2.89 (probably 10p from China).
Nor do I.

Kind Regards, John

I now recall where I saw a 6 terminal intermediate switch, it was in a factory wet area installation.

Very similar to this simulation I created using photos of a BG water proof switch,

improvised intermediate switch.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back