intermediate light switch help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! Any chance someone can tell me if I can switch from the old intermediate switch to a new one, please? The photographs are attached.

We have 2 light switches + 1 intermediate (upstairs).

The old intermediate switch has got L1 & L2 for one switch and L1 & L2 for another.

The new intermediate switch has got Com, L, L1, L2.

Massive thank you in advance.

Attachments

• old intermediate.jpg
    old intermediate.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 87
  • new intermediate.jpg
    new intermediate.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
Hello! Any chance someone can tell me if I can switch from the old intermediate switch to a new one, please?
Of course you can - if you buy a new intermediate switch.

The photographs are attached.
The new one is not an intermediate.

It is a touch switch which, I think, could be configured, with another two switches, for a three-way system.

We have 2 light switches + 1 intermediate (upstairs).
So three light switches.

The old intermediate switch has got L1 & L2 for one switch and L1 & L2 for another.
No - it is all one switch.

The new intermediate switch has got Com, L, L1, L2.
It is not an intermediate.

It works like this - and I think you could add a third - but they will all need rewiring.

1676467637607.png

@EFLImpudence great response! Couldnt expect anything better than this.

It seems almost impossible to find a good looking intermediate light switch which comes in a set with another two way switches.

Was thinking of buying this set where they have a 1 gang 3 way intermediate switch available, however I am not sure the 3 way will work in our house since I am not sure if we have a neutral wire, although when checked a 1 gang 2 way light switch which is connected to the intermediate switch I am trying to replace, I have noticed there is a blue wire at the back, although not connected to the actual switch directly. The image is attached.

Here is the link to a 3 way intermediate light switch: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BSEED-Intermediate-Screwless-Tactile-Switches/dp/B082KDS6VV
Here is the link to the video where it is shown the neutral wire (assume it is in blue) is connected: https://www.amazon.co.uk/vdp/18292d705e2447948905e038c58b5475?ref=dp_vse_ibvc0 shown from 1:30 min onwards

Image of the old intermediate switch is reattached.

Attachments

• old intermediate.jpg
    old intermediate.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 1 gang 2 way.jpg
    1 gang 2 way.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
It seems almost impossible to find a good looking intermediate light switch which comes in a set with another two way switches.
Well, intermediate switches can also be used as one-way or two-way so you could buy all intermediate switches which would then match.

Was thinking of buying this set where they have a 1 gang 3 way intermediate switch available, however I am not sure the 3 way will work in our house since I believe we dont have a neutral wire as can be seen on the original intermediate switch.
They do not have a neutral wire. The neutral shown is after the lamp.

Here is the link to a 3 way intermediate light switch: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BSEED-Intermediate-Screwless-Tactile-Switches/dp/B082KDS6VV
Here is the link to the video where it is shown the neutral wire (assume it is in blue) is connected: https://www.amazon.co.uk/vdp/18292d705e2447948905e038c58b5475?ref=dp_vse_ibvc0 shown from 1:30 min onwards

Image of the old intermediate switch is reattached.
1676479022513.png

Sponsored Links
I think you are getting confused with the switches.

Here is a three switch system diagram with two two-way and one intermediate. It is very simple.

1676479338450.png

There are all sorts of other methods nowadays with remote or touch switches where the two additional switches just tell the main one what to do.

It looks like an "Intermediate Switch...2 gang, 2 way"
I'll give you that it looks like that, physically but ...

(a) what on earth is an "Intermediate Switch 2 gang, 2 way"?
(b) how can it be "2 gang, 2 way" with only 4 active terminals ?
(c) it certainly does not have enough terminals to be a 2-gang intermediate
(d) I don't really understand their 'wiring diagram - do you?

Kind Regards, John

(c) it certainly does not have enough terminals to be a 2-gang intermediate
(d) I don't really understand their 'wiring diagram - do you?
As in EFL's diagram, there is an L in and 2 L's out (rather than the 3 in the diagram), the com is the communications link to the other light switches (only guessing, but receiving an impulse from the other switch to toggle the output? Edit - synchronisation suggests more than just an impulse!)
(a) what on earth is an "Intermediate Switch 2 gang, 2 way"?
Looking through the product range, the 'intermediate' refers to having the Com terminal that allows the communication.

I can't find any reference to 'intermediate' switches on the manufactures official (European) website - they are referred to as "2 gangs - 2 ways"
Screenshot_20230215-223035_Chrome.jpg

...I wonder why I'm reminded of Monty Python :unsure: :)
Screenshot_20230215-221618_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
As in EFL's diagram, there is an L in and 2 L's out (rather than the 3 in the diagram), the com is the communications link to the other light switches (only guessing, but receiving an impulse from the other switch to toggle the output? Edit - synchronisation suggests more than just an impulse!)
OK, but in view of existing established terminology, to call that a "2-way" switch is confusing, at least to me!
Looking through the product range, the 'intermediate' refers to having the Com terminal that allows the communication.
Maybe - but, again, in view of existing established terminology/labelling, to use "COM" to identify a terminal on a "2-way switch" as one with a 'communications' function is surely more than a little confusing, isn't it?

Kind Regards, John
...I wonder why I'm reminded of Monty Python :unsure: :)
:)

Kind Regards, John

OK, but in view of existing established terminology, to call that a "2-way" switch is confusing, at least to me!
Yes, definitely confusing.
With these (somewhat misleading) descriptions, why wouldn't you think the switch was a direct swap?

We've answered questions about similar switches before on this forum.
At least the previous switch that was queried, had a wiring diagram included with the item description; but still that was misunderstood:

1676508590377.png

Scolmore click do intermediate switches that can be fitted to front plates along with one or two way at the same time.
Ok they are not fancy like the linked to ones but are just like normal switches

simply remove whichever switch from the three gangplate and fit the intermediate in its place (one screw holds the switch module in place)

Last edited:
1 way, two contacts, either on or off.
2 way, three contacts either on or the other contact is connected to common.
3 way, the common connects to one of three contacts, not seen many as flick switches, normally rotary connected to three lights illuminating three signs, busy, wait, enter etc.
The reversing switch, intermediate switch, can have a centre off, but since it does not connect to anything, it is still not three way.

What I am saying 2 way refers to the type of switch, not what it is doing, and it could simply light wait and enter lamps, it does not need to be used for multi-switch controlled lights.

There is the traditional wiring
two-way-plus-inter.jpg
been done this way for years, but with electronic control, they tend to use the master/slave method, the one linked to never seen the slaves sold independent to master, but can buy master independent to slave, which I admit seems daft.

Looking at diagram 1676549508362.pngthe S terminal connects to slave, and all switches must be the same manufacturer and designed to link together, rather silly to my mind, I had 5 light switches of the make shown, and now down to 2, and at around £47 the pair, plus if you want to use internet a hub, rather expensive.

However there are today other methods, this little relay DSC_6061r.jpg can connect to existing two way switching, and allow a third method of switching, with phone etc. I use one for landing lights as the switch down stairs is in the wrong place.

The use of smart switches, relays and bulbs has turned the lighting on its head, with remote controls 1676550249304.pngRemote control.jpgChanging what can be done, some even look like light switches.

My houses, for some reason have not had two way wiring in the bedrooms, the first one I went to great lengths to add it, this one I use smart switches and bulbs and remote controls. I will admit my daughter has managed to loose the one for the guest bedroom, which is a bit annoying.

My wife seems to be loosing use of fingers, even with nothing in her hands standing next to light switch, still hey google turn on bedroom lights.

If I was re-wiring I would still wire ready for two way switching, mothers house all switch drops used three core and earth, the third core unused, but ready for either supplying a neutral or two way switching in the future.

But to integrate multi-switches, looking at push buttons, as switch position tells you nothing. Not found a relay to work with pulse yet, but I am sure they now exist. Instructions vary and this to me is the problem, there are so many variants, one puts on a blind fold and sticks in a pin. But now you can buy them over the counter at places like CEF, and at £32.42 not silly prices.

I tend to use Screwfix, as handy, but seems nearly every time I go in, have to return next day for some thing, if over £50 free delivery, but then may as well use internet.

The whole idea of going to a shop, is you can see what it looks like, seems that is now something in my memory only.

1 way, two contacts, either on or off.
2 way, three contacts either on or the other contact is connected to common.
Quite so - that is the standard, and very long-established, terminology for switches (what I might call SPST and SPDT respectively). Also, by long-stablished convention, "COM" refers to the 'common' contact/terminal of a 2-way switch, not "communications"!
What I am saying 2 way refers to the type of switch, not what it is doing,
Again, quite so. What the OP appears to have, on one plate, is two switches (hence "2-gang") with 1-way ("SPST") switch functionality, each of which can be toggled on/off either locally or from a remote switch (via a signal connected to the "COM" terminal). Since the unit needs to know which of the two switches is being addressed remotely, I assume that the 'signal' has to be something more complicated (i.e. 'coded') than just a present/absent voltage.

That's probably the functionality that a user wants, but the way in which it is being described seems to be totally confusing to anyone used to seeing standard 'switch terminology'!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back