Intermediate switch on 3-way lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wiring diagram that was supplied with an intermediate switch (and also the diagram in my DIY bible) show the switch as having two L1 terminals at the top and two L2 terminals at the bottom.
However, the switch has an L1 and L2 at the top and an L1 and L2 at the bottom. :eek:
I have attempted to wire up the switch how I think it should be but although the other two switches work as they should the intermediate has no effect on the lighting. :(

Sponsored Links
I have used 3 core and earth, so I have the correct amount of wires but as the switch layout does not relate to the diagram I have no idea which one should go where.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Spark but the diagram is exactly the same as the one in my book.
The switch has four terminals like in the diagram but instead of the top two and bottom two being labelled L1 and L2 respectively there is an L1 and L2 at the top and an L1 and L2 at the bottom.

:D It's Okay, I think it's right now. I have wired the switch as per the wiring diagram, ignoring the labelling on the switch and all the switches work and it hasn't blown up yet!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back