Transplant established rose bush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have some impending building work and there's a well established rose in exactly the wrong place. Photo here is from last year, ros is now near top of trellis: 20200223_150737.jpg As far as I can tell (google streetview is brill) the rose has been in this location for at least 15 years, and has grown quite tall before being cut back on various occasions, so I imagine it's pretty well entrenched.

We want to move it, it's bloom and fragrance is far too nice.

What's the best approach to transplating such a plant?
When should I do it (building work is planned for the summer).
Can I put it in a large planter for the duration of the work and then re-plant it when it's done?

Sponsored Links
Some roses aren't too keen on being moved but they can be.

ideally if pruning is required, it should have been done in late October. So if the rose is suitable for pruning and needs it, I'd do it in lateish March. Then you need to pot it up and keep it somewhere frost free.

When you replant it, ensure that it's not planted where a rose has been grown before.

I would move it now, while it’s somewhat dormant. Put it in a planter or dig a hole elsewhere in the garden. Prune it very hard first.

I would move it now, while it’s somewhat dormant. Put it in a planter or dig a hole elsewhere in the garden. Prune it very hard first.

Needs to check it's suitable for pruning, some ramblers won't recover from it.

Sponsored Links

How big a planter would I need? What would a hard pruning consist of? - my gardening abilities so far consist of trimming a hedge and mowing a lawn -this is kinda new to me.

FYI
This is the state it's in as of yesterday..

Attachments

• 20210221_131858.jpg
    20210221_131858.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 68
How big a planter would I need?

See how much root you get when you dig it up, and use a planter big enough for that; I suspect that due to the concrete you will struggle to remove a lot.

Do you not have a space in the garden where you can dig a hole for it?

What would a hard pruning consist of?

I would chop everything a couple of feet from the ground.

See also:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=293

My own experience moving roses has been plants that had not established well in their original location; they had not much root, explaining why they were not doing well! They are happier now they are moved. Your plant looks happy there so it probably has good roots.

The main purpose of pruning in this case is because of the inevitable root damage. If the roots are, say, halved then the plant will only be able to support half as much foliage without dehydrating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back