Treat moss first, then add fertiliser, or use an all-in-one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large, slightly wild lawn - more of a small paddock really. The moss has got a strong hold over the winter and I am thinking it needs scarifying and over-seeding now spring is here.

I have a vague recollection the same chemical is the active ingredient in moss killer and lawn fertiliser is that true? I am wondering whether to get a big sack of all-in-one stuff and then hire a petrol scarifier in due course... is this a good option?

Sponsored Links
Iron sulphate is the active ingredient - also greens grass while it kills moss and turns it black. I buy big tubs of it from Ebay (other online auction sites are available) - the bigger the quantity the bigger the saving. First mow the lawn, then apply 5 grams per square metre (dissolved in water), leave it a week or two then the same again. Then mow, scarify, and top dress with sand/compost/grass seed mix and some fertilizer thrown in. Good luck!

Should have added that although iron sulphate is considered a 'tonic' for grass, it isn't strictly a fertilizer, and your lawn will definitely appreciate the addition of fertilizer after the iron has done its job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back