Tree stump removal - setting fire to it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone tried this? numerous internet posts suggest it works but seems a little too easy..but then I do like easy if its an option ;)

35cm pine stump been dead a year or so, thinking of drilling a bunch of holes and letting petrol soak in

Sponsored Links
Not much to lose by trying it. After only 1 year there may still be a fair bit of sap present, which could impede the petrol from soaking in though.

Using charcoal and a means to get air to the red hot area can burn a stump down below ground level.

Drill a largish horizontal hole below ground level to meet up with a central vertical hole.
Can also drill angled holes around the vertical one to meet up with it and therefore create extra 'chimneys', that will burn the outer sections.
If you have any wood shavings, (or such like), push them down the holes as they will continue to burn and heat up the surrounding surfaces, thereby drying them out prior to burning.

Sponsored Links
Petrol will pollute the ground and the vapour will burn above the stump, rather than in it.

Carve a hole and start a charcoal fire in it.

If you have an air blower such as a hairdryer or some vacuum cleaners, use an extension with a (fireproof) metal tube into the hole

As Bernard says

If you can get hold of an old metal drum large enough to cover the stump , drill it full of holes, remove base( so it’s a tube of metal) and build a fire in it over the stump, this will allow you to keep a contained fire it it for as long as required to destroy the stump .

Last edited:
Don't use dynamite. I knew someone who tried it (years ago). The outside of the stump remained intact in the ground, but the inner core ended up about half a mile away!

Dig and cut roots. This is guaranteed to work or your money back. The digging needs to be deeper and large than you estimate but not hard. Digging is easiest with a spear, crowbar, pointy thing. Then move the lose soil aside. For small stumps, a jigsaw will work on the roots.

Thanks for all the fire starting tips :) Decided I will drill lots of holes, soak with paraffin for few days, dig out the base of stump, fill with charcoal then whoooosh!

Thanks for all the fire starting tips :) Decided I will drill lots of holes, soak with paraffin for few days, dig out the base of stump, fill with charcoal then whoooosh!
Paraffin will do nothing to burn the stump as it just acts as a large wick with the flame burning above stump..

Be a man and dig the whole thing out. It will make you feel like superman after. Don't be shy going deep and big.

Years ago, my girlfriend's father had an dead apple tree, it had been cut back to the stump. He waited for fireworks night,

He built a bonfire over the stump. The fire took over a week to burn through the roots. I used to turn up each day, and out of curiosity, drop tissue paper on to the stump, and yeah, a week later (after the bonfire), tissue paper would ignite when dropped in to the hole where the stump had been.

Dynamite? Paraffin? Petrol?
Embrace the insanity...

...or just wait to let nature take its course. The dying stump will provide bugs with a habitat and give birds something to peck around, then the wood will rot into the earth and feed the soil. Is it in your way? If not, let it be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back