Trench around house to lower groundbelow DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I was quoted a trench around the house to lower the ground level below DPC. They will dig out a trench and will feel it with shingles. Does the trench have to be connected to a drainage, or will it be just drying on its own? The guy said there will not be any drainage system and it will be just drying and it will be fine. I am a bit concerned and still believe that the water has to be drained, what if there are two weeks of rains, the trench will be filled with water and the walls will become even more damp.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Is this just being done to lower the ground level, rather than a French drain because of high ground water levels?

Is this just being done to lower the ground level, rather than a French drain because of high ground water levels?

Hi, Yes, it is being done just to lower the ground level. No ground water level (I hope so :) so far.

As it's only to lower the level below DPC it should be OK, but it's difficult to be sure without seeing the site. Hopefully the ground runs away from the house. If you wanted a French drain you would need somewhere to drain the water away to.

Sponsored Links
I think... if he digs the trench and then fills is back with shingles it will still retain water and have the same effect as higher ground, both in water retention (unless drained) and splash back. If the surface of the shingles is lower as a result of the trench then that should be OK. We dug a trench faced it with brick and left the air gap.. success.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back