Tri-rated vs 6491X in trunking and conduit ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't see anything in the wiring regs that says to use 6491X singles and not tri-rated. Plenty of references to non-sheathed singles - but nothing saying any particular specification.
The only reason against tri-rated I can see is that being finer stranded it needs bootlace ferrules at the terminations - but that's hardly a difficult thing to do.
For tri-rated, they go smaller than 1.5mm² which seems to be the smallest 6491X generally available. Interestingly CPC have it in 1mm², but only in blue and black - and they charge as much (or more) as others charge for 1.5mm² 6491X. Table 52.3 allows smaller than 1.5mm².

And (for example) Doncaster Cables have reproduced tables 4D1A and 4D1B adding their own note "Tables Apply to: ST91X, 6491X, 6181Y, TRI-RATED (when installed in conduit or trunking)"

So, is this just one of those "this is what we've always used" and "it's what the wholesaler stocks" things - or is there any technical argument for 6491X / against tri-rated ?

EDIT: Add link for Doncaster Cables

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
surely the cost of Tri rated is the main reason for not using it, why pay for it if not needed

From TLC :
1.5mm² 6491X is £20.81/100m
1mm² tri rated is £13.80/100m
For a lighting circuit supplied by a B6 MCB, 1.5mm² is overkill*, takes more room in the conduit/trunking, and costs more.
For 1.5mm², the tri rated is £18.00 and 6491X is £20.81
Their 2.5mm² are £27.60/100m for both tri rated and 6491X

And if doing control circuits, 0.5mm² is only £8.76/100m - though I don't expect to do enough of that to justify buying a whole roll.

So, for this supplier at least, there seems to be no price penalty for using tri rated - the reverse in fact.

Checking another online supplier (http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk) there does seem to be a price penalty for tri rated - but still a saving from having 1mm² available is there. And at https://www.edwardes.co.uk their 1mm² tri rated is more than their 1.5mm² 6491X. So it looks like TLC is a bit of an oddball in this respect o_O

This surprises me since probably the most significant proportion of the cost of a cable is the materials that go into it. Solid, coarse stranded, or fine stranded - all the same amount of copper and near enough the same amount of PVC. I suspect there's both an element of "people who want tri rated (for it's three approvals) will pay a premium for it" and economy of scale with more 6491X being used.

* Subject to limits on volt drop and circuit impedance for fault clearance.

Sponsored Links
Ok, tri rated used to be about 3 times dearer, it seems single normal stuff has increased a lot.

.... 1mm² tri rated is £13.80/100m .... This surprises me since probably the most significant proportion of the cost of a cable is the materials that go into it. Solid, coarse stranded, or fine stranded - all the same amount of copper and near enough the same amount of PVC.
I suppose it depends upon what you mean by "the most significant proportion" ...

... by my reckoning, 100 m² of a 1 mm² single contains 100 cm³ of copper, which weighs about 896 g and costs (a bit difficult to find a definitive figure, but probably about £5/kg) about £4.50.

As one moves from solid through coarse stranded to fine stranded, the complexity (hence cost) of the manufacturing equipment will presumably increase appreciably.
I suspect there's both an element of "people who want tri rated (for it's three approvals) will pay a premium for it" and economy of scale with more 6491X being used.
Primarily the latter, I would imagine - I would think that the market for tri-rated will be very much smaller.

Kind Regards, John

Ok, tri rated used to be about 3 times dearer, it seems single normal stuff has increased a lot.
I often find things like that. I'll make some statement based on last time I looked into something, get corrected, and find that it's all changed without me noticing :oops:

Well, as I thought - yes tri-rated was easier to work with than (oversized) 6491X :)
Just added a heat detector to an existing smoke alarm circuit (interlinked Aico stuff) in one of my rental properties, and it was much better using 3off 1mm² and 1off 0.75mm² (for the interlink - permitted by the MIs) tri-rated than 4off 1.5mm² 6491X. And it leaves a lot more room in the single conduit that's the only route I have for cables between the flat and it's garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back