Trianco redfyre boiler smelly!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
had a new motor and a service on my Trianco redfre 20/25 about 3-4 months ago. Worked fine for a while then kept on getting lock outs, and latterly became very smelly, but no black smoke. Striped Slectos burner and gave it a thorough clean, reassembled. No lock outs now, but still smells. Any ideas?
Also there is an electrical sensor of some description in a glass tube with two wires coming from lhs of burner, what does it do? I think its broken.

Grateful for any help, Timbo2

Sponsored Links
kero or fumes?

anyway, i would call somebody out. you obviously have a prob, and to be honest, as i have said before its, awkward enough with it in front of you. so to diagnose from a computer is err difficult.

the thing youre on abaht is the photocell, if that was forked youd be in constant lockouts...... :rolleyes:

its not a centrajet is it? (downward firing)
fkkn awful things :LOL:

had a new motor and a service on my Trianco redfre 20/25 about 3-4 months ago.

Don't ask here then, ask the guy who did it, you might get it fixed for a very acceptable cost. (Or you might not).

Sponsored Links
Don't trust the guy who fitted the motor, he made a right dogs breakfast of it. It's definately an exhaust fume smell, seems like it might be running rich, do they smell if they run lean? Little glass thing is definately fkd but no lockouts since I cleaned the burner so it cant' work when in open circuit, just want to sort the smell.

Thanks Timbo2

timbo2 said:
Don't trust the guy who fitted the motor, he made a right dogs breakfast of it. It's definately an exhaust fume smell, seems like it might be running rich, do they smell if they run lean? Little glass thing is definately fkd but no lockouts since I cleaned the burner so it cant' work when in open circuit, just want to sort the smell.

Thanks Timbo2

am i missing something here ?
i assume the fitter did combustion analysis /smoke test /etc
if (the little glass thing was fckd ) the burner would lock out
:confused:

Little glass thing definately us, but I repeat no lock outs since I cleaned the burner/jet etc. I would appreciate any suggesttion as to what causes a boiler to go smelly (exhaust wise), is the air/fuel mixture only controlled on the air side of things, or can the amount of fuel delivered be adjusted in some way. If I can get it running reasonably clean then I will obviously get the Co checked, just want to save a little money, and have the satisfaction of fixing it myself.

Regards, Timbo2

Hi Timbo! Have you tried slackening the knurled knob on the side of the burner and increasing the air supply. Have you cleaned the fan blades?. Does the RPM of the motor match the boiler requirements.To reduce the fuel delivery rate you would have to reduce the pump pressure or change to a smaller nozzle. Does your nozzle and pressure meet with the boiler and burners instruction manual.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If the smell of exhaust fumes increased and it's a conventional flue, the flue needs looking at. The motor may be running slow (tacho required) there may be a leak round the combustion tube, or a leaking access panel seal.

If it's running with too little air, it will be producing a larger amount of carbon monoxide. You can do all the checking you like, but don't expect to save money. If I was to look at it, I would go through the lot, regardless of what you tell me you had done. 1) I have to earn a living, 2) it's my neck on the block.

Either get the guy who fitted the motor back (why do think he made a dogs breakfast of it?) or if he's oftec registered, speak to them.

Cheers mandate, oilman
on my burner there is a philips screw which increses the size of the air aperture,(its quite an old boiler) I have tried increasing this but with little effect,I'm puzzled by the fact that after the new motor was fitted there was no smell for about 3 months, only recently has it started to pong. I'll try cleaning the blades, do the nozzles wear? also as the motor is directly connected to the pump I would have thought that air supply would be proportional to fuel supply, or am I barking up the wrong tree. One final point, the seal between the burner and boiler looks in a bad way could this relavent, although no fumes appear to be escaping from it.

Regards, Timbo

Hi timbo! The max air supply is dictated by the motor speed and effectivness of the fan. The fuel supply is dictated by the nozzle size and the pump pressure to give the required rate of delivery. I was looking at a chart only last week that showed how the same rate of delivery could be achieved using 2 different nozzles. ie the smaller nozzle using a higher pressure or the bigger nozzle using a lower pressure. The markings on the nozzle give the calibrated flow rate in galls/hour using gas oil at 100lbs/in and then you can adjust accordingly. Nozzles do wear which is why they should be renewed at intervals. Having said that I've not changed mine for a couple of years, but I have the new one ready (£5).Do you have any form of instruction manual giving details
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back