Trickling water sounds in Radiator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone have any idea what the problem is with a vertical radiator that i have installed in my brothers house. The problem is apparent when the central heating is on and in this vertical radiator it sounds like trickling water is running in the rad. All the other rads are working fine, even the problem rad is warming but its the annoying " trickling " sound which is getting on my brothers nerves. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
sounds like air finding it's way to the top of this rad, probably the highest point on the system. If you have a tank fed system and this radiator is on the top floor you may want to check the distance from this and water level in tank as it may be to high which will cause problems with air constantly.

HTH Sam

Sorry forgot to mention the heating/water system is fed by a Vaillant Condensing boiler which is located at ground floor level. The problem rad is about 3foot away from the boiler.

have you bled it?

do the pipes go in at the bottom or is one at the top?

Sponsored Links
brother has said he has bled it JohnD, and the pipes are at the bottom of the vertical rad.

how long has the rad been fitted?

If its new still it may just be air circulating still, also make sure any valves are fully open, these may cause noise although i wouldnt describe it as you have above?

Any isolation vavles in the supply to this radiator? they are quite restrictive and can cause noise.

I always bleed things myself as I need to know with 100% certainty.

Tony

Rad is brand new sambotc and all the valves are fully open.

It is a possibility Agile will have to go and check myself m8.

Possibly the flow and return pipes are connected the wrong way round. Had this problem meself once. :oops:

Possibly the flow and return pipes are connected the wrong way round. Had this problem meself once. :oops:

Can you explain that?

The rad does not know which pipe has been designated flow or return!

Tony

I'm glad you asked the question Tony cos I'm confused by that one also ... Intelligent rads ... Hmmmmnnnnn :LOL:

The ones I have fitted (vertical bars type) have the flow rising from the bottom pipework connection to the top header in one bar only. The remaining bars are connected to both the top and bottom headers with the return connection from the bottom header. The instructions are quite adamant that the F & R conns must be made as detailed therein.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back