Trimming conifers - is there a right/wrong time?

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by Antony2008, 27 Jul 2008.

1. Antony2008

Antony2008

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Good morning all.

We have several conifers (about 2.5m high) that are sorely in need of a trim but I don't want to cut them now and find that they go brown and die :cry: . I'm no gardener but something rings in my mind that you shouldn't cut a tree/plant 'when the sap is running', or something like that.
    Am I being over cautious and can I take the shears out now or should I wait for winter when the trees are more dormant?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. JohnEBoca

JohnEBoca

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a similar hedge and it gets a trim a couple of times in the middle months.

No problem with an electric hedge trimmer, but you don't want to cut right back, like you do a Privet Hedge.

Try to keep to the new green shoots, not the brown branches. Tops can be cut right back as you need to keep the hight down.

After a couple of months the tops will be full with new shoots poping through, these can then easily be trimmed back

4. breezer

breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    2.5m high with an electric hedge trimmer, hmmmmm.

try a bow saw

5. 2scoops0406

2scoops0406

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, be wary of cutting back to dead wood, most conifers do not grow back from dead wood. But you can trim them anytime really.

6. JohnEBoca

JohnEBoca

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Breezer, 35years I've trimmed the Confir hedge, with an electric trimmer. It would be unpractical to use a Bow Saw.

7. Antony2008

Antony2008

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks JohnEBoca, 2scoops0406 and breezer for your help and comments. I've borrowed my Mum's telescopic shears and will fettle the conifers tomorrow, all being well.

Thanks once again :) .

Antony

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links