Triton power shower thermostatic trips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Triton power shower thermostatic. (Pumped mixer shower fed from immersion, not instant shower, no heating element)

The shower started tripping the MCB (not the RCD). Trip happens when the isolator switch is closed, before shower is turned on.

I took the cover off and there was black carbon from the motor brushes everywhere.

Is it possible that the dust is causing a short? Or is it more likely a fault in the wiring.

I undid the mains cable from the shower and the trip does not happen then so that maybe rules out any problems with the wiring insulation between the isolator and the shower.

Could it just be the dust??

Sponsored Links
Once the pump starts to degrade then the age of the windings or excessive brush wear might cause a short which can cause a sensitive MCB to trip.

Could also be a breakdown in the electronics but unless you are an electronic engineer and can test components then that would only be replaced.

Time to consider a replacement as a repair may not be cost effective. How old/what model is the unit?

Sponsored Links
There are several thermostatic Triton power showers, or is it just the TPS - Thermostatic power shower?

Not cost effective to replace the pump @ £170 I wouldn't think. If it's anything but their new Silent Running power shower then the PCB's are no longer available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back