Trouble removing tail from radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of going through the house repainting my radiators and fitting new TRVs. It's all gone quite well so far until I ran into a problem with one of them.

The new TRVs all come with tails to screw into the radiators and so I've been taking the old ones out and replacing them, but one of them just won't budge. I've twisted so hard on it with a spanner that the edges have become rounded and so I can only attack it with a set of footprints, but still no movement.

I've tried WD40 and I also thought heating it with a blowtorch might soften things up, but no luck. It looks like it's only been put in with PTFE tape, so I don't understand why it's such a problem.

Can anyone here offer any insider tips?

Thanks in advance

Jever

Sponsored Links
4948921C-8BB2-4937-9191-594EFB5F2CC0.jpeg
Stillsons.

Sponsored Links
Is the radiator aluminium? Some of these have left hand threads on one side.

If standard steel, then as nitro23456 suggests.

Slide a bit of copper pipe over the aforementioned spanner to give more purchase/leverage if necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back