Trussed loft conversion with nail plates - safe?

M

macca1973

Hi All

We are having our W trussed rafter roof converted to a bedroom. All internal timbers (including 1.4m high side brace posts/struts and web member timbers) will be removed. Steel or timber joists which will be added which will sit in the block walls at each end.

The top chord timbers are actually in two pieces which are joined together with nail plates in the middle. I am worried that this will be a weak point and if the internal timbers are removed that the roof wont be stable despite some 1.1 metre high side brace posts being added.

Anybody able to give me any reassurances?

I can take a photo if my description is not clear :)

Cheers

Alex

Sponsored Links
Have added a photo of the loft as is to my profile - if you click on my username you will see it I hope :)

Presumably an SE has looked at this for you - he should be competent to advise.

The builder doing the conversion is providing the SE but I wanted an independent opinion really as I have suffered with jobs not being doing correctly in the past and it has been costly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply by the way (forgetting my manners) - my bed is calling me :)

Wishing we had gone down that road now but already paid the builder. Only noticed the nail plates after we paid. Better to be armed with info from independent sources before discussing with the builder.

What do you think - have you seen the pic To?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back