TRV replacements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Myson contract TRVs fitted and i have replace one or two heads recently, is it possible to fit another make ie Peglar Terrier TRV head without changing the body angle valves, not to keen on draining system or does each make fit its own?

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware ALL TRVs have a different interface between the head and body.

Its only normal to need to replace the body as the head rarely fails unless you are a tenant who goes round kicking them when you are drunk or on drugs.

Tony

As far as I am aware ALL TRVs have a different interface between the head and body.

Its only normal to need to replace the body as the head rarely fails unless you are a tenant who goes round kicking them when you are drunk or on drugs.

Tony
Thank you for your reply Tony, the reason for my question on changing to another make of TRV is the Myson contract heads I have replaced on one of my radiators has melted twice on the plastic thread,is this due to being bottom of the myson range?

I would have thought that anything called Myson was always bottom of the range.

Even though they should still be able to withstand the maximum CH temperature of 85° which should never be exceeded by any boiler in normal use?

Have you had a straight out of college engineer who has tested the o/h stats by overheating the boiler?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that anything called Myson was always bottom of the range.

Even though they should still be able to withstand the maximum CH temperature of 85° which should never be exceeded by any boiler in normal use?

Have you had a straight out of college engineer who has tested the o/h stats by overheating the boiler?

Tony
All I have done Tony is exchange the head of the Myson TRV and twice it as melted on the same rad, I have changed the head on 3 other rads in the house and had no problem. Thanks for replying

Can you measure the flow temperature on that rad or the boiler output?

Tony

Can you measure the flow temperature on that rad or the boiler output?

Tony
Hi again Tony, I have a Potterton 30 HE condensing comband the max output is 29.4 kw, with this myson trv being the second to melt I thought of taking it back to plumbers merchant in case its a bad batch if it's not how about replacing it with a Drayton trv 4? Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

It seems to me that you need to know the flow temperature first to see if thats excessive.

Tony

You would need a digital contact thermometer or a multimeter with that facility.

Tony

You would need a digital contact thermometer or a multimeter with that facility.

Tony
Or, for a one off job for a diy'er, any thermometer which you can hold against a pipe for a couple of minutes will give a reasonable reading ;)

In theory that would work but would have to be thermally united to ensure it read the actual temperature.

The only kind I can think of to do that would be a lab type glass/mercury thermometer.

Just possibly there are domestic jam making ones which could be used.

To ensure thermal contact a thermally conductive paste would ideally be needed but at alternative would be to hold the bulb against the pipe with strips of ali foil and then wrap the outside with sticks tape.

The one type which does not do the job is the IR non contact ones as they rely on the emissivity of the surface and can read up to 40% lower or even more depending on the surface coating.

Tony

In theory that would work but would have to be thermally united to ensure it read the actual temperature.

The only kind I can think of to do that would be a lab type glass/mercury thermometer.

Just possibly there are domestic jam making ones which could be used.

To ensure thermal contact a thermally conductive paste would ideally be needed but at alternative would be to hold the bulb against the pipe with strips of ali foil and then wrap the outside with sticks tape.

The one type which does not do the job is the IR non contact ones as they rely on the emissivity of the surface and can read up to 40% lower or even more depending on the surface coating.

Tony
Hi Tony, sorry I have taken so long to reply I have been in touch with Mysons and was waiting for a reply before thanking you for your advise, well Mysons have sent me 2 replacement valves and have sent one of my faulty valves to be inspected there initial reaction is a fault with the moulding manufacterer and not the heat.Thank You

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back