Trying to buy myself some time..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to buy myself some time..

Hi i've just taken on my first property and naturally needs some work doing…

I started off fitting sash locks etc to the windows… and whilst I wish I was making head way, its seems like every job I start develops into more jobs… exponentially!!

The windows have been left for many years, and I'm faced with several jobs that need fixing on each window..
Re-puttying
repainting
replace window sill's
protect timber.

I can't tackle all these jobs right now because of all the other jobs that need tending too… in which case I would like to do something now to hopefully buy myself some time so I can start tackling the windows during the dryer months/ summer.

Can anyone tell me how I can go about this.

Where the wood is bare I've applied a five star timber treatment to hopefully protect the wood from rot etc

Once treated is it worth painting with a primer to offer additional protection which I can then sand down in the summer and then repaint…

Would welcome any suggestions on how I may go about preserving the windows…

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid painting damp wood or in fact even dry wood outdoors in this weather is doomed to failure, by all means put a coat of waterbased primer on but be prepared to sand it all off and let the wood dry out properly in the spring.

how about 5 star wood preservative?

An all in one, solvent free treatment for wet rot, dry rot, fungi and wood boring insects

I'm hoping if I use this stuff, I don't have to paint over and I can just get on with it in the spring..

How about the putty, I can do the putty now though?

Putty take an age to dry enough for painting, by all means try, but unless the timber is bone dry it will not stick properly. A temp fix with a thin bead of exterior paintable mastic might stop water ingress, come the warmer weather you can scrape it out and putty.

Lost count of the number of customers that called me in when the weather is chucking it down to paint soaking wet window sills I have done some at their insistence perhaps if they are selling, but it never ends well.

Even timber treatment will not displace the water that is already in there, so cannot soak in properly.

Sponsored Links
Why not post a couple of pics so you can get some opinions on just how much work is involved in refurbing your windows?

Do a window at a time, remove from frame and board up then you can take your time and do a proper job.

Thanks for the photos.

Yup I would go with foxhole on this one, the only way with shash windows in that state is remove and renovate.

I guess you like the shashes, I'm a rip 'em out and replace sort of guy.
I know all the arty-farty property shows say keep them but they are very poor insulation will always suffer condensation and very difficult to draught proof.

I guess you have already figured my opinion is the amount of work involved in really bringing them back to tip top condition is uneconomic, but as said, by all means put a coat of primer on but it will need to be completely stripped and the window left to dry out before any worthwhile restoration is attempted next year.

Give them a coat of any microporous base coat then that way any moisture that is inside the timber is allowed to evaporate and not trapped which is the biggest problem. Then I would putty them and just leave till better weather to refurb they properly not going to get much worse and if they do they properly needed changing anyway or repaired

Sadolin Superdec is pretty good, it is flexible so less chance of cracking or flaking, used it on my gutterboards and it seems to be lasting well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back