trying to replace a section of rotted plywood behind siding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i discovered some rotted plywood behind some vinyl siding that i was replacing. there are two rotted sections -- right at the bottom of the wall and right below the window.

since it's easier to cut and replace just the affected sections of plywoods i started to cut out the damaged section using a circular saw (set at 3/4" depth -- the same as the thickness of the plywood) and a straight edge to get a straight cut. unfortunately the circular saw is too big to get right into the corner where wall meets wall (there's actually a non-movable obstacle that is hard to get behind) and a jigsaw hits the 2' x 4' framing beams behind the plywood.

i'm sure there's some tool or technique for cutting right to or very close to the corner. can anyone suggest how to get in there to cut vertically against the wall edge?

thanks

Sponsored Links
jim - consider drilling a series of hole close together (chain drilling) then chisel the 'bridging' pieces to sever the ply away. A reciprocating saw is also a handy tool to use in tight situations.

You could, of course, use your circular saw as you suggest and then get a hand saw to finish off the cut. Laborious, but effective ;)

well it was a bit of work but it did the trick. thanks.

Sponsored Links
btw, should i be filling any gaps between the plywood with caulk?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back