Tub gasket on a washer, silicone or no silicone ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to change the bearings in the washer/dryer soon but after watching a couple of videos on youtube some run a thin bead of silicone over the tub gasket , some don't.
What's your thought's ?.
And , what are the actual bearing part numbers I need as there's a bearing manufacturing company local to me. i.e part , dimensions if possible , just though I would save a few bob thankyou

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Depends on the type of material the gasket is made from and the mating surface.
"Rubber" gaskets can slip sideways as the joint is tightened down because of the lubrication provided by the silicone unless they sit in some kind of recess that prevents them moving.
They can squidge out of the joint for some time until the silicone sets.

Depends on the type of material the gasket is made from and the mating surface.
"Rubber" gaskets can slip sideways as the joint is tightened down because of the lubrication provided by the silicone unless they sit in some kind of recess that prevents them moving.
They can squidge out of the joint for some time until the silicone sets.
Silicon can also rot rubber as far as I know.

Sponsored Links
Silicone might rot rubber but most seals / gaskets are synthetic like neoprene or similar. I have never seen one that has been damaged by silicone myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back