Tumble Driers - vented v condensing

nec

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to buy a TD for Xmas (how sad is that?)

As I see it vented require a hole in the wall but should be reliable as they have been going for decades.

The condensing do not require a hole in the wall but employ more technology which means greater initial cost and running costs. More technology also means to me less reliability over the longer term.

Anyone able to offer any other thoughts apart from pegs and a line :LOL:

Sponsored Links
A condenser is a basically a metal box with a drip tray under it. Hardly high tech and they have been around for ages too. Why do you think the running costs are higher ? plus, if you site it indoors, in this weather you get the residual heat retained in the house not wasted out through a hole in the wall !

Thanks for the input bathjobby. I have spoken to two "salespeople" today on the merits of each to get a better understanding of the subject.

One reckons the Condensing TD (CTD) (from his own experience) increases the moisture within the room and the life expectancy quoted of an average machine without problems of only 2 years - cannot understand how anything can be so unreliable in this day and age.
They all appear to to be £100 dearer than the venting TD. (VTD) All appear to be in the 'C' class of efficiency.

The other salesperson was somewhat non commital over reliability of the condensing TD but spoke highly of the VTD model that she owned and also mentioned the sensor that takes the guesswork out of the time to dry articles.

I am not convinced which way to go as yet - would appreciate views of people using C & VTD's on a regular basis as to their findings.

Condenser dryers do take a little longer to dry and are prone to leakage due to blockages in the waterways and pumps. Some of them have a water container underneath (the simpler design), others have the water container up top. The top mounted ones have an electric pump to lift the water up and a few even have an option to add a waste pipe so that you never have to emply the container.
My personal preference is a vented dryer, I believe it's quicker in drying and more economical to run. Condenser dryers are good but they do not remove all the moisture so you can still get some condensation when using them.

Remember to unplug your appliance before working on it.

Sponsored Links
My CTD is running at this moment, is 14 years old, is used 3 to 4 times a week for several hours at a time and is not pushing any noticable moisture into the room.
life expectancy quoted of an average machine without problems of only 2 years - cannot understand how anything can be so unreliable in this day and age.
Neither can I, he is talking bollards and he will then no doubt use this as justification to flog you an extended warranty on which he gets commission !
This isn't rocket science (tube through the wall vs metal box and drip tray), just a matter of preference.

We have had our Tricity Bendix condenser drier for 3 years now and no problems with condensation or leaking at all (Murphy's law now states this will happen as soon as next load gets dried!). As Bathjobby says, the residual heat at this time of year is a bonus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back