Tunnelling animals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What sort of animals gdig tunnels in the soil of my garden?

In the vegetable patch, there is a hole about 10 centimetres in diameter which goes about 20 centimetres down before turning off to somehwere I cant see

We have a problem with ants in the garden, but there is no way in the world that ants could have created a hole that size!!

I'm thinking mole, fox, rabbit????

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Could be Fox, badger, rabbit, cat, dog, child!!!!

If its badgers, be very careful, they are sooooo protected its a total nightmare. There has to be a VERY good reason to have them moved and if you are caught doing it yourself then the penalties can be rather harsh.

For your sake I hope its foxes as you can kick them in the head if you want and most people wont bat an eyelid!! :evil:

Thanks for the reply - I guess the only way to identify it would be to spend a night camped out with night goggles on?
If, for example, it was a badger or a fox, how would I deter it from re-visiting?
Are they a danger at all - do they attack?

Badgers can attack but only if they have pups and they feel threatend. They have a very strong set of jaws and can break bones, so I have heard. Foxes are less likely to attack but even they are cheeky as f--k nowadays, since some people deliberatly feed the damn things.

I will say that if its still an active hole that you would be quite likely to have seen them if it was foxes, they seem to come out any old time of day they want. I only know this because there are foxes local to me and they sleep in the middle of my lawn about 2' from my sleeping cat from time to time. BLEEDERS!!!! :evil:

Sponsored Links
At 10cm it's more than likely going to be TexMex's suggestion of Rats. Badgers would take up the whole vegetable patch not just a small hole and foxes will be seen (and heard) by you.

Srodders said:
At 10cm it's more than likely going to be TexMex's suggestion of Rats. Badgers would take up the whole vegetable patch not just a small hole and foxes will be seen (and heard) by you.

True :!: I overlooked the 10cm bit :oops:

Sorry, had to chuckle. A Badger!! or a Fox!! Are you serious?

Badger holes to there sets are normally more like 20-30cms in diameter and incredibly messy. They will not be setting up home in your average garden and will likely have more than one entry/exit point.

Foxes again have similar sized holes. Much bigger than 10cm or so.

This is likely to be a mole or possibly a rabbit (But I doubt that it's a rabbit as they are communal and like to build warrens with many other rabbits)

You are in no dnager at all from these small creatures. They dont set up their homes in company of humans very often, as they are very timid. They will not dig up your foundations either.

There's only one way to get rid of a mole ... Blow it's bloo**y head off (said in a brummie accent) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back