Turning off ancient trvs...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long time lurker first time poster here, so Hi, your scribings have been of much use over the years so thanks to begin with.

Now to a problem of my own. I've removed and replaced radiators before, but it's the first time I've encountered valves like this...

As you can see they're very old, how do you shut them off. The left valve is the same as the one pictured but without a screw FYI.

Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 197
Sponsored Links
It's not a TRV, it's a radiator valve.

You turn the spindle. There are probably flats or a square near the top where a knob should fit. A knob from another radiator in the house will probably fit.

You can buy universal knobs in DIY and plumbing places.

If you turn an old valve and it starts to leak, quickly turn it fully closed or fully open and it will probably stop.

Thanks for that I believe I have done it. They felt so tight I thought they were already fully off, but a good swing on it loosened them up. Probably 30+ years untouched so they might've stiffened up.

It's an old Pegler valve probably from the 60's judging by the rad style.

Sponsored Links
Interesting to know, thanks for that. The house hasn't been touch since the 60's so would make sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back