turning off radiators / affordability

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live alone in a basement flat (poor me!) and its very expensive to heat up the whole flat when theres just me in it, usually in the front room, but aLWAYS in only one room at once. my question is about savings from turning off all the other radiators except the one in the front room. This should keep my bills down huh? I ask because to be honest since i did this, I havent noticed the boiler firing up less than it would do usually.

Im wondering if my logic is wrong about how it works, because when I use the hot water, its cheaper to keep the boiler temp high, fill up the sink, and add cold water. turning down the temp on the boiler for hot water produces colder water, but the boiler is still fired up all the time, so would cost more to produce the same amount of water.

Sponsored Links
If all your other rads are off then yes, it should be a bit cheaper to run. The easiest way to tell is to check your gas bills.

Are you sure it's cheaper to keep the boiler temp high and add cold water? Do you have any proof of this or are you just assuming?

well, heat may be wasted that just lies in the taps after i turn it off but apart from that, yes im assuming based on experience why what am i missing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back