turning off water when on holiday?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I was a kid (many years ago), my parents and everyone else always seemed to turn their water off when they went on holiday. No one ever does now.

I had a flexible hose in the bathroom burst last week unexpectedly, so I'm starting to wonder now if I should be turning off the water when I go away for a length of time.

A few water companies suggest we should do it...

http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/news/holidaymakers-advised-to-switch-off-water-before-jetting-off.aspx

Is there any reason why turning it off may not be a good idea?

Sponsored Links
Chris,
Cannot see any issues turning it off.

I always turn off water if away for a week with feeling that if electric or gas goes wrong, someone will eventually see the smoke (or hole where house was).

If water goes, it could be a week of flooding and extra damage.
And I would have to pay for that water!

And as I leave the gas on and the CHeating on Low, it could be hot water flooding the house if a hot water pipe bursts!
And then I would have to pay for that water AND that gas!

SFK

Last edited:
As a teenager I used to accompany my father who was a local authority plumber on emergency call outs in the evenings and weekends, and saw some pretty horrific results as a result of burst pipes when folks had gone away in winter and not left any heating on. [many used solid fuel back then and we seem to have colder winters with prolonged sub zero temperatures] The sight of the downstairs carpets floating on 6" of water. Water running down the stairs like a waterfall and even on one occasion down the street. Bedroom ceilings that had collapsed onto the bed and the like remain quite vivid 40 years later!

Even during the summer, one recurring problem was where the cold water storage tank ball valve didn't shut off completely. this wasn't noticed normally because water was being used by the occupants, but after several days without use, overflowed and either the overflow pipe or connection leaked, or wasn't even fitted, causing a small flood.

Dad always turned the water off when we went away and I still do the same today. I imagine with the warmer winters and the advent of heating that can be left on, plus the demise of many cold water storage tanks in the loft such instances decreased. However. .......we do now have plastic pushfit plumbing fittings and flexible hoses....

Yep, it scared me quite frankly seeing how much water got over my bathroom floor and that was in the space of 2 minutes from me hearing the pop, hearing a spraying noise, getting out of bed and getting down to the stopcock.

I did once get back from holiday in the summer to find the patio quite wet, and that turned out to be the cold feed tank valve not closing but it had gone down the overflow safely into the external overflow pipe.

I think I'll start to turn it off from now on. I suppose the worst that can happen is it would wear out my stopcock a lot sooner over the years.

Sponsored Links
In cold ( sub zero ) weather when there is no heating water left in pipes can freeze and burst the pipe. Turning off the water will not prevent bursts due to freezing if the system is not also drained but it will reduce the damage from water when the pipes thaw out.

I think I'll start to turn it off from now on. I suppose the worst that can happen is it would wear out my stopcock a lot sooner over the years.

I fitted a ball valve just above my stopcock. Maintenance free, and a quick 45 degree twist and the water is off.

Capture.JPG

Having said that, there's an advantage in moving the stopcock every now and again, as it prevents it seizing up.

I fitted a ball valve just above my stopcock. Maintenance free, and a quick 45 degree twist and the water is off.

View attachment 139238

Having said that, there's an advantage in moving the stopcock every now and again, as it prevents it seizing up.

My stopcock is a ball valve (lever arm type), so quite easy to turn off these days. My previous one never actually stopped the water.

If diy plumbing work has been carried out its always best practice to turn off the mains water while away :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back