Turning on outside water - Stopcock help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, new to this site.
My house has a stopcock that is 8 feet below ground, and I have this huge metal rod to turn it on and off.

I'm not sure who was the one that turned it off before me (my wife hired a sprinkler company to do it) but when I try to turn my stopcock to get water this is what I get:

9 o'lock - Start position.
No water. If I turn to the left (towards 6) it grinds a bit. I don't push it.

12 o'clock - quarter turn clockwise.
I get water, but the tube that I'm turning in fills up with water - not great.

Now if I remember correctly I should be able to turn to 3 o'clock and the water will stop, and if I turn down to 6 o'clock the water should go to the sprinklers.

I say this because when I first moved in, if I turned 1/4 to the left from Off, the sprinklers worked. If I turned 1/4 to the right, the tube filled up with water.

So what I'm thinking is they turned it too much one way.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
What a confusing post! :)

Your obviously not a plumber!!

However, I think I've made sense of it (ain't it grand to be daft!)

I reckon your boundary stop tap is stuck/seized in the "on" position so when the rat box starts to fill with water you are actually starting to turn the whole
stop-tap head away from the stop tap body - STOP!!! don't proceed any more.

Just ring your local water board and tell them your boundary stop-tap is stuck (it's their stop tap)and it's free to you to have it repaired (bugger it up and you will get one hell of a hefty bill from them)!

What a confusing post! :)

Your obviously not a plumber!!

However, I think I've made sense of it (ain't it grand to be daft!)

I reckon your boundary stop tap is stuck/seized in the "on" position so when the rat box starts to fill with water you are actually starting to turn the whole
stop-tap head away from the stop tap body - STOP!!! don't proceed any more.

Just ring your local water board and tell them your boundary stop-tap is stuck (it's their stop tap)and it's free to you to have it repaired (b*****r it up and you will get one hell of a hefty bill from them)!

Roger, awrite luvvie............. ;)

So if I keep turning Counter CLockwise - which is where it gets that stuck feeling, it could break. What happens if I keep turning right?

THis is what happened last year:

1/4 turn right - water on.
1/4 turn right again - water off
1/2 turn left (Back to the start) water off
1/4 left - water on, hole filled up with water.

What happens if I keep turning to the right? Could the thing come off? or will it just get the "Stuck" feeling again?

Sponsored Links
With a stopcock buried 8 feet - you must be in BC ! - some posters put radom locations :idea: : . Anyway we`re all UK based , but yours sounds like it`s a Plug Cock - you`ll have to get your water supplier to have a look - because @ 2feet 6 deep mains here in the UK , we`re out of our depth with yours ;) Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back