Turning the gas valve on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Customer's gas meter is under the sink - ok - but the Gas Tap - "Emergency Control" is behind the integrated dishwasher, which is to the side. No space even for its key to go onto the square to operate it.

So she either has to move the dishwasher permanently - or maybe put it on castors, or maybe it would be OK with an extended spanner/key/tool on the valve. The axis of the square to be turned, is parallel with the wall.

The square is about 16mm across its flats, and the hole through one pair of faces is no particular size, perhaps 1/16th of an inch.
Ideas welcome for as near as possible an off-the-shelf solution. I don't mind drilling a hole!

PIC

Sponsored Links
I don't know of the legality of extending this, but how about a long box spanner?

I think if it were fixed to the valve (via the hole, like the standard handle) with a fixed tommy-bar, it should be OK.
Something like a spark plug spanner with integral handle, or a mini stop cock key.

Think your idea in the picture is spot on Chris, put some tape on to show direction of use and the bases are covered, ie, accessability and identification.

Sponsored Links
a bit of 20mm A/F mild steel 'square tube' would probably be a pretty good fit on the valve, with a split pin to hold it in place. You could probably soft solder a square plug cut down from a bit of the same tube in the free end to re-fit the original valve handle, or drill it for a tommy bar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back